Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhiannahunt Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Mar 10, 2010, 05:19 PM
    Claiming child that does not live with us? And child support
    My friend and I were talking about taxes and claiming our children. My husband has a son that lives in a diff state than us. We are currently paying child support of about 450.00/month. Now where it says child care expenses... does child support qualify? And also we have a parenting plan with the mother for this child, and we see him 6 weeks in the summer, and during his school vacations. We pay half the expense of transportations. Are we allowed to claim him on our taxes every other yr? I heard that you can do this... do we have to ask her or should we call a lawyer?
    rhiannahunt Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Mar 10, 2010, 05:21 PM

Also she does not have a job so I guess her husband claims him
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2010, 12:04 AM

Only custodial parent can claim the child. Child support does not count. It is not deductible or reported any where on the tax return. Your U.S. Tax Return: Child of separated or divorced parents
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 11, 2010, 07:25 AM

Unless your husband has a court decree that states he can claim the child every other year, the custodial parent can claim the child - regardless of how much financial support your husband provides.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Claiming child with other parent claiming child care expenses? [ 2 Answers ]

My son spent half the year in California with his father, and half the year in Texas with me. I will be claiming him as a dependent on my 2009 taxes, however I was wondering if it is still possible for his father to claim the child care expenses he incurred in California to make up some of the cost?

Stopping child support after adoption (I live in NJ) [ 5 Answers ]

My ex-girlfriend and our son moved to NC after she married last year. I have paid child support on time over the years, but have no contact with this child. I signed paper for her husband to adopt my son, the adoption was finalized a month ago in NC. My ex had never notify the county of her move...

Child Support and Claiming the Child on Federal Tax Return [ 2 Answers ]

Ok here is the question!! I Pay A little Over 800 a Month in Child Support Am I Able to Claim him on my Federal Taxes

Claiming Child Support Payments Without Decree? [ 3 Answers ]

I made child support payments to my spouse in 2008 for 11 months before the divorce was finalized in December 2008. Is there anyway to claim or otherwise file these payments made to my spouse before the divorce decree?

View more questions Search