Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    max 1999 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2010, 11:20 AM
    Will he have to have an surgery... what is there for alternatives?
    Max, my dashund missed his step over the curb last Saturday, took him to the vet, he gave him three medications for the next 3 to 4 weeks... What do I expect??
    Will he need surgery, vet says possible slipped disc.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2010, 11:45 AM

Possible slipped disc means that he MAY have to have surgery.
    But if he responds well to the medication then he may not, it's just a waiting game.
    Limit his activity and definitely make sure he does not jump, or walks up stairs, his body needs time to recover and movement is his enemy right now.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Mar 10, 2010, 12:26 PM

Yes and once the doc gives you the OK to resume normal activity, swimming is one of the best activities you can do with him. My dog Max tore ligaments in his leg, he had to have surgery, and we only needed to take him to physiotherapy a few times, because he was swimming. It helps exercise the joint without putting too much pressure on it. Just make sure to limit, as with anything too much can be a bad thing. I am sure your vet will tell you everything you need to know for the healing process.
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Mar 10, 2010, 01:18 PM

Your best bet is to listen to you vet. If you are not satisfied with your vet's diagnosis, get a second opinion. But usually your vet knows best, as they have been trained for these types of things. I know it may seem dumb, but good on you for taking your pet to the vet, it was the responsible thing to do... Many people would have ignored the problem, in order to save a few dollars, but you did what was best for your dog.

I don't know enough to give you a diagnosis, but what Shazzy and Aurora Bell are saying sounds right.

*** Cherish your dog everyday, as it could be the last you have with him. Take the precautions to make sure he never has a chance to go near traffic, and love him like your baby.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tubular breasts, surgery or no surgery? [ 28 Answers ]

Growing up I always hoped my weird looking breasts just hadn't fully developed but I'm now 21 and they're still the same. I didn't realise there was a medical name for my problem but recently I've been looking into surgery and was told I had tubular breasts. It's not so much the breast that I'm...

Cosmetic Surgery thesis statement on Risks and benefits of Cosmetic Surgery [ 4 Answers ]

I need a thesis statement on Cosmetic Surgery, I will be during my essay on Risks and benefits. What are your thoughts?

Alternatives for Sandwiches [ 32 Answers ]

Hello there, was looking for alternatives to sandwiches... anything different, warm, tasty etc... sandwiches get very very boring!! Many thanks

BK Alternatives [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am at a point where I have to file BK. What if I do not file BK and let the creditors sue me? What happens in order? Do I have to show up at court each time I get sued? I have no problem if they enter a judgement against me. I live in California. Thanks for your detailed explanations ...

View more questions Search