Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lila1234 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2010, 08:56 PM
    My dog bit the cord off twice of pup and pup died
    My dog gave birth to a puppy that came feet first, the pup an over grown tongue and she bite the cord off and then bit it off again and the puppy bled to death. Why would she do this.

Mar 9, 2010, 08:59 PM

My dog gave birth to a pup that came feet first and with an very large tongue. She bit of the cord and started licking him then she bit the cord completely off and the pup bled to death
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2010, 09:06 PM

Despite what people think, dogs aren't automatically good mothers.

When we have a litter of pups we definitely do not allow the mother to bite off the cords.
    Cords are tied off with a length of cotton and then cut with scissors.

Odds are this little pup wouldn't have survived anyway if it had an abnormally large tongue, that would make nursing very difficult if not impossible.

Mar 9, 2010, 09:17 PM

Why would the pup be born with abnormally large tongue.
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2010, 09:23 PM

Could be any one of a number of reasons from genetics to diet to environment.

Don't beat yourself up about it, things like this can happen to the best of breeders.

A friend of mine who breeds Boxers was feeding raw chicken mince to her pregnant b*tch she didn't know that the chicken was hormone treated. 4 out of 5 pups were born with what looked like flippers instead of legs.
    Did she feel awful? Of coarse.
    Was it her fault? No, she had no idea about the chicken.

Mar 9, 2010, 09:32 PM

Thanks shazamataz
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2010, 09:33 PM

No problem.
    Did she only have the one pup?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 09:35 PM

I have to ask. Are yo a breeder or did you just decide one day to let your dog have puppies?

Did you do genetic screening on the female and the male before breeding?

Do you know how to care for a pregnant dog? Do you know how to care for the pups?

There's more to breeding then getting your dog pregnant.

I'm sorry this happened to you but this is why we don't advocate backyard breeding. Things like this, and worse, happen all the time.

Please have your dog spayed after the remaining pups are weaned. Leave the breeding to the breeders. Okay?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I had a pup with parvo when can my other dog go in the back yard [ 1 Answers ]

We had a pup that was 17weeks old that died of parvo on the 2-3-2010.. the question is we have an older dog that is 10years old, when can he go in the back yard. He hadn't thad a needle for at least 3 years but he has a shoot yesterday and going for a booster in a month... he seems to be fine... ...

Should I get a pup as company for my dog? [ 1 Answers ]

I live alone and have a six year old, lab/boxer, unneutered male, named Maxie, that I've had since he was a pup. I bought Maxie to serve as company for Rocky (shepherd mix, neutered male) who died when he was eight a couple of years ago. I was a bit surprised that Rocky did not take to Maxie,...

My pup doesn't act like a pup [ 7 Answers ]

I just adopted a black lab puppy he is 15 weeks old I was told his mother was a stray and he was bottle fed and never bonded with his mother. He does not play like a pup of his breed should he acts like he was abused because he cowers when called and won't leave my room to explore and he does not...

Best dog food for zu pup [ 5 Answers ]

I have two 2.5 month old cute zus, since I知 working 6 hours a day starting 4 am and I値l be at home around 12nn. So I知 leaving them dog food in their feeding bowl in the morning. I致e been feeding them alpo puppy dog food (beef&vegetable flavor) during breakfast and lunch time. Then during...

3 month pup won't eat dog food [ 6 Answers ]

Got a 3 month old geman shep. Mix. She won't eat the iams puupy food that we bought her. I have tried everything from mix can food, adding cottage cheese, adding eggs and still won't eat. She will eat table scraps but don't want her to keep eatting this. I want her to eat her dog food. She is...

View more questions Search