Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kd123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2010, 05:43 AM
    Non resident alien married to a US citizen
    I was a non resident alien during 2009.
    My spouse and our children are US citizens
    We spent the entire year of 2009 , outside the US
    I have had a good income during 2009, but my wife " who is US citizen" had zero income during 2009.
    I understand I am not required to file since I was a non resident in 2009 and lived overseas. And also my wife is not required to file since she had zero income in 2009.

If I still need to file can a non resident alien file jointly with his US pouse who did not work at all?
    Thanks
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 8, 2010, 12:59 PM

A U.S. citizen or resident can file joint return with nonresident spouse. Both of you must report worldwide income for the year. Your U.S. Tax Return: Filing Status for Married
    NYLawyer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2011, 12:53 AM
    Since you are leaving abroad the US, then you would file a worldwide income every year and you would have to file jointly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file taxes - US citizen married to non-resident alien [ 8 Answers ]

Hi there - I got married in 2009 to a French citizen (who completed two student internships here and has a SSN). I live and work in the US and he is in France, finishing his masters, while we wait for his visa and work permit to come through. As a full-time student he is being supported by his...

Gift from Non resident alien to US citizen [ 17 Answers ]

My dad who is an Non-resident alien would like to gift some amout ~$30,000 from the sale of foreign assets in the foreign country into my foreign bank account, which currently has only $100.00. He will be immigrating to the US during dec'09. For 2009, he will be a Dual status alien, i.e NRA till...

US Citizen married to non-resident alien - does he qualify for spouse exemption? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I were married in March 2009. I am a US citizen and I think he would be considered a non-resident alien for US tax purposes. I think I have to file married filing separately with a spouse exemption. He was employed w/ a British company but as a non-resident of New Zealand – is his...

Resident alien married to a non-resident alien with no income [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I've been on F1 (student) visa since 2003 and I believe I am considered a resident alien for 2008. I'm married with a child. My wife joined me in 2005 with an F2 visa. She is still a non-resident alien (I suppose) with no income and no SSN (not eligible). My question is that when I file the...

Resident alien married to Nonresident alien- 1040 details [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a straightforward question: I am a resident alien who is married to a nonresident alien. We have one child who is my dependent. I will be filing as head of household and will claim an exemption for my wife (she does not work) and for my child. Do I still need to write my wife's...

View more questions Search