Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    programmanager1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2010, 10:04 AM
    My father passed away how do I apply to be the executor?
    My father passed away... he has a house, cars and a boat... there is no will... and no executor of the estate... he has two children that were adopted by other families... and there is me and my brother that are legally his... my brother stays in and out of jail and has a lot of legal trouble, and to keep the property and the vechile from being tied into a lot of legal issue... I would like to file to be the executor... but I don't have money to pay an attorney... I have the deed and the titles to all of his things... but legally no Power of attorney... how can I file... without payig a lot of money...
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 10:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by programmanager1 View Post
    my father passed away... he has a house, cars and a boat... there is no will...and no executor of the estate.... he has

... me and my brother that are legally his....

... to keep the property and the vechile from being tied into a lot of legal issue... i would like to file to be the executor... but i don't have money to pay an attorney.... i have the deed and the titles to all of his things... but legally no Power of attorney... how can i file.... without payig a lot of money....
    Strictly speaking, you wouldn't be an "executor" because an executor is someone who carries out the terms of a will. You would be a "personal representative".

It wouldn't hurt to touch bases with a few attorneys who might be willing to help you for less than you might imagine. Times are tough right now.

Or you can research the probate statutes and rules for your state and do it yourself. It involves filing a petition with the court to be appointed personal representative. You might be able to find sample forms at the court clerk's office, or online, either at the court's website or on some other site.

By the way, a power of attorney wouldn't apply in your case. POAs are invalid after death. What you need would (in many states) be called "letters of administration", which you would get by filing the probate paperwork.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father Passed Away [ 7 Answers ]

My father passed away on the 3rd of June due to a 16 year battle with Prostate Cancer. The last year I made sure I was there at every dr. appt and chemo appt. for support for my mom as well as my dad. Now that he is gone I am with my mother about every day my dad made me promise to not leave her...

My father passed [ 2 Answers ]

My father passed left inheritance. Married 18 years. Is my spouse entitled to my inheritance?

Follow up on executor and sister using father [ 2 Answers ]

Thank You for your responses it was helpful,just this past weekend I visited with my dad and his attorney.My brother was given Power of Attorney which he and my sister recommend without my knowledge but he was supposed to act in the best interest of my dad/family which he totally abused by making...

Executor and sister using father [ 1 Answers ]

Recently my brother was made executor after my mother's passing.He and my sister are always in financial need.My father 83 recently co-signed for sister's car and apartment not mention paying off her mortgage back payments.My brothers wife is always ill and needs name brand prescriptions for her...

Father passed [ 9 Answers ]

My father passed this life on Jan 2, I was with him at his passing. He went down hill quickly since Thanksgiving. At that time he could still walk across the floor, but Christmas he was confined to his bed. His passing was peaceful in his sleep. He will truly be missed.

View more questions Search