Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    handburger Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2010, 10:03 AM
    Can a contractor sue for money made after his license expired in NY?
    A contractor did work in my home. His license expired soon after we had signed a contract, but before he actually began the work. He never completed the project, but worked sporadically over FOUR years with no plans or permits. He was paid for his work, but now is trying to get more money. As a license is required in my municipality, I'm wondering about his right to lien or sue.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2010, 10:14 AM

In most localities... his is in gross violation of the law operating without a permit. Not to mention the local zoning laws by not getting required permits. He is opening himself up to a lot of trouble. How much will vary state to state... but I know in VA and MD he could potentially face jail time or at the least large fines. I know someone who had this happen to them operating in a State they held no license to work in. Around here you can cross three different areas in 15 minutes time so its not hard to do.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 5, 2010, 10:15 AM

Yes he has the right to sue, his not having a license can be used as a defense, but may or may not be viewed by the court as a factor. Proof he was paid for his work and/or did not fisnish the job contracted for will be the main defense

You in return can report him for not having a license and/or permit

** but, the homeowner is responsible for the permit, so unless the contract said he would provide permit, the issue of not having a permit is the homeowners fault, not contractors
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2010, 10:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    yes he has the right to sue, his not having a license can be used as a defense, but may or may not be viewed by the court as a factor. Proof he was paid for his work and/or did not fisnish the job contracted for will be the main defense

You in return can report him for not having a license and/or permit

** but, the homeowner is responsible for the permit, so unless the contract said he would provide permit, the issue of not having a permit is the homeowners fault, not contractors

The fact it has taken 4 years and still isn't completed... tells me he is on shakey ground. Yeah he can try and sue you... but I would #1 turn him in for operating without a license, make sure the court is aware of this... and countersue him for the money paid for work that after 4 years still remains incomplete. You may need estimates from other contractor to put a cost to complete the work... which can be leveraged against him and what has been paid thus far.

Read your contract well, it will usually say if they get the permits... Here in VA its standard practice for the contractor to file for the permits. But it can't be assumed they are responsible to do so in all cases.

I would consult a lawyer local to you. Take the contract, detailed photos... and any corespondence from this contractor with you.

If he has no license... he also has no insurance. So if he burns down your house... or injures himself on your property... guess who gets screwed? Right, its you, not him. He could end up owning your house in that case.

I'd turn him in NOW for operating without a license. I'm sure he's not paying the required taxes... etc. And I have heard how money hungry the tax people in NY are. Those are all things that can work against him IF he tries to sue. And he may even forget about you dealing with the costs and lawyers fees fighting that. I know MD is very aggressive in these cases.

But quite honestly. Full payment is not expected or reguired until the acceptable completion of the work once the deposit is made... which usually covers the cost of materials. The balance is usually what they make on it to pay themselves and other costs.

Personally. I'd take him to court... for breach of contract. Four years have passed, the work is still NOT complete... and he's demanding more money?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Neighbor made false allegations about my child.can I sue him or file a complaint [ 8 Answers ]

My neighbor made false allegations about my 15 yr old son.. We were investigated by the police and questioned.. Can I in return file a false allegations charge, or a charge of harassment?

I owe a contractor $2200 I am paying $100 monthly can he sue me? [ 3 Answers ]

I have paid a contractor $4000 but still owe $2200 I have fallen on hard times and have offered to pay $100 a month. He has begun calling me every day so I asked him to cease and desist. Now he is taking me to small claims court. Can he put a lien on my business even though I only lease the...

Expired-out of state license [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend is 22 years old and has been driving in New York with an expired license from New Hampshire. It has been expired for almost 2 years and after the 2 year point they said he will have to start the process of getting a license from the beginning. We went the dmv and they said he just has...

Can I fix hazardous steps if a contractor is refusing to fix, and threatens to sue? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in central Texas. I hired a landscape contractor to install retaining walls and a patio which included 4 steps in stone. These steps range in size from 6.5" to 9.5" and the tallest is on the top! They are very dangerous. He refuses to do any fixes, and walked off project. At one point in the...

View more questions Search