Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reree39 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2010, 07:18 PM
    A fifty year old women with a long history of being active wants to get into strength
    I am fifty, very healthy and very active. I recently started using strength training equipment at the gym and love it.. I would love a great workout that would get results and reshape my figure using weights and machines... I need help..
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 4, 2010, 07:21 PM

Good for you, I did that at 60. My son bought WiiFit for Christmas and I have never looked back. I am 67 and love the workout first thing in the morning in my own frontroom before work.

Get a personal trainer to get you started on those machines. You could damage some very important body parts without proper training. I have done what you are doing but would never presume to advise because every body is different, everyone is different.

Tick
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2010, 04:21 PM

Base your workouts on compound exercises like squats, bench press, deadlifts, military press, lunges, stiff leg deadlift, bent over row, dips, pull-ups, wood chopper.

Those exercises are tough, but they will give the best results. Don't be afraid to lift heavy weights. You won't get bulky, but you will see a difference. And your bones will thank you. A million dollar study by NASA found that lifting 80% of your maximum possible weight, for 8 reps, give the best result in terms of muscle and bone strength.

If your trainer doesn't show you how to do them, then ExRx (Exercise Prescription) on the Net has little thumbnail videos of how to do each of the exercises.
    JeffParker45 Posts: 28, Reputation: 3

Mar 29, 2010, 04:05 AM

Does your gym offer free classes?

If so... Here is what I would do to get supper fast results...

1. Take a spin class regularly...

Reason... Its supper intense, but you can take at your own pace... You should sweat up a storm in that class... And burn a gazilion calories! (well... a lot of cals at least... )

2. Take a yoga class...

Reason... Your body is probably all stiff and needs some good core strength and increase in flexibility to prevent injuries and help with any minor aches and pains you currently have...

3. Take a palates class...

Reason... It will tighten your core and stomach up so fast you will see a sexy mid section before you realize it... Plus, a stronger core equals a stronger body for lifting the weights... It makes a huge difference to your weight lifting!

4. Take a total body sculpting class

Reasons... Not all gyms offer this, but if they do, it is a perfect place to learn the different full body exercises that you can also do on your own in the gym itself...

To sum it all up... The reason why I think you should do those classes first...

Your body is your body... You need some time to get accustom to what your body can do in a athletic setting... The more comfortable you get with your body, the better you will be able to exercise and reach your fitness goals...

Also... a hidden benefit that you get with the classes that you won't get with just hitting the flow on your own is the new friendships you will build...

The men and woman with the most success have someone they can count on in the gym to help them through the workouts... i.e. Work Out Buddy! :-)

And by taking 4 classes for a few months at minimum, you will have plenty of time to make new friends and possibly find yourself a workout partner...

This workout partner will rely on you to get to the gym when you say you will... And that will FORCE you to go!

What is the biggest failure why people don't succeed in their fitness goals?

Because they fail to even show up...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sexually active 27 year old woman who cannot orgasm. [ 7 Answers ]

Sad I know. Here's my story. I am a sexually active 27 year old female and I love having sex. I have been with many partners, all with their own... ummm... unique style. Still I have not achieved orgasm. I am also unable to climax on my own. I masturbate often, and I am able to make myself...

Long, Long, history of freezeups, and blown fuses! [ 7 Answers ]

Hello I have been having trouble with our furnace for quite some time, and I have been arguing and fighting with home issurance companies trying to get this fixed and Im tired of dealing with them so I turn here. Originally our problem began with the whole unit freezing up in the summer when...

How long before history repeats itself! [ 2 Answers ]

US is Bankrupt this happen in 1933, how long before history repeats itself? It seem the our government is more concern about everything else except the US economy, What suggestions can we come up for the government to restore the US Economy? The dollar may fall this March 01/14/2006...

View more questions Search