Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2010, 10:12 AM
    I have a 1978 kz 650
    1978 kz 650 it starts but blows blue gray smoke through the exhaust pipes. There is also
    Oil build up in the exhaust pipes and has low power what might this be?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 4, 2010, 10:29 AM

If that is a car, or a bike, you are talking about, it sounds like worn piston rings and worn valve seals, and it is a 78 so that is probably right, if it hasn't been maintained properly. What is the mileage ?

Tick
    tpeters Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Mar 5, 2010, 05:54 PM
    I also have a 1978 KZ-650 (Blue) and if the smoke is blue-grey and goes away after the machine is well warmed up, then the valves or valve seals are leaky. If it blows smoke more or less all the time, the rings are shot or the cylinders are scored from running with low oil, no oil, cheap or wrong grade oil, or combination. If that's all that's wrong with it, you could get it bored out and buy oversize pistons and rings. But that's a four cylinder bike, and a bore job isn't cheap and it's even less cheap when you have to do it 4x.

If the smoke is black to blue-black, maybe you have a carb or 3 that are so messed up it's running horribly rich.

There's lots of stuff to check. I'd join KZ-Rider and ask around there: http://kzrider.com/
    banditftw4q2 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2010, 01:52 AM
    Motor's tired--rings are worn out

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1981 650 maxim throttle housing [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a 1981 Yamaha 650 maxim. The throttle housing with the starter button is all taken apart and I can't seem to get it put back together with the throttle grip. Does anyone have any tips or diagrams. Thanks!

Craftsman 650 series lawnmower [ 2 Answers ]

What is the correct gapping for my craftsman 650 series lawn mowers spark plug?

Kawasaki kz 650 [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a 79 kz 650 and I was told the carbs need reset. How do I go about doing this?

View more questions Search