Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mar1162 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2006, 02:44 PM
    Christianity
    How has Christianity, a faith based on the teachings of one text (the Bible), divided into so many denominations?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2006, 03:27 PM
    Christianity is NOT based on one text. The Bible was not "the Bible" for at least 300 years after it's founder left this earth. Christianity is based on the teachings of Christ - as passed down by His apostles.. . and to boot, the Bible is not a text. It is a collection of texts from various authors over somewhere between 50 and 100 years... the first being at least 30 years after Christ left this earth.. . but that is not the answer...

The divisions generally come down to one thing: It is the idea of Sola Scriptura - which means "The Bible is the sole rule of doctrine and practice"

There are many ways to interpret many things within the Bible.

That's why there are thousands of denominations.

Christianity was pretty much "one" for about a thousand years... then it split into East and West... with very little difference between the two.

... then when Sola Scriptura became popular in the 16th-17th Centuries, it fractured from there to the thousands of "denominations" that it is today.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2006, 07:48 PM
    I agree with Rick - Christianity is not based on the teachings of the Bible - Christianity is based on the teachings of Jesus Christ. The denominations come from all the various interpretations of "The Law". Even the denominations disagree within themselves - just look at the Lutheran Churches for example. Does not mean anyone is wrong, it is how their scholars have come to understand the Scriptures and how they have applied it to their Faith.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Dec 8, 2006, 08:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    I agree with Rick - Christianity is not based on the teachings of the Bible - Christianity is based on the teachings of Jesus Christ. The denominations come from all the various interpretations of "The Law". Even the denominations disagree within themselves - just look at the Lutheran Churches for example. Does not mean anyone is wrong, it is how their scholars have come to understand the Scriptures and how they have applied it to their Faith.

In order to agree that everyone is right we would have to ignore the prophecies that foretold a falling away from the true Christian teaching. Or at least say that the deviations were really of no real importance--something that goes completely contrary to what we are specifically told.

In Acts 20:29-30, the Apostle Paul prophesied:

"I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them."
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2006, 06:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    In Acts 20:29-30, the Apostle Paul prophesied:

"I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them."
    To me, this passage affirms both the reality of the original premise and the truth of the answer why.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2006, 09:41 AM
    Finding the "true Christian teaching" is not difficult. Finding the denomination which teaches the "true Christian teaching" presents the problem, as many denominations are now advocating tolerance of issues and people that are not tolerated in the Holy Scriptures. However the teaching of "judge not lest ye be judged" is also written.

When I said "does not mean anyone is wrong", I should have clarified that. I meant it in the context of the accepted denominations - just because the Lutheran Church in general differs from the Roman Catholic Church (as one example) - does not make one all wrong or one all right. A person has to discern what each denomination teaches and measure each respective Tenent of Faith to the Holy Scriptures. If a person finds questionable teaching, then it is their responsibility to go to the Pastor and ask why. If the question cannot be answered according to Scripture, then the person needs to seek another church, maybe even change their religious affiliation.

For many years I belonged to a United Pentecostal Church and grew tired of the haranguing the pastor did about the other churches and people in them. Our church had so many standards that no one could have ever met even half of them. Yet they said it was all based on the New Testament teachings.

I do not go along with the various Bible translations - I hold to the KJV.

I do believe there are perversions of faith out there and that there are wolves dressed in words of Scripture. Sometimes it is blatant and sometimes not. It is something we all should be aware, be prepared for, and be prayed up in order to defend our Christian faith.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Dec 10, 2006, 09:58 AM
    I wonder... is there a way to view only those ideas or actions that are directly and undisputedly attributed to Jesus in the bible? Or even what all the different denominations of Christianity consider rock solid common ground? I would find that very interestesting!
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Dec 10, 2006, 02:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by valinors_sorrow
    I wonder... is there a way to view only those ideas or actions that are directly and undisputedly attributed to Jesus in the bible? Or even what all the different denominations of Christianity consider rock solid common ground? I would find that very interestesting!
    I think so, Val. The gospels of Matthew and John were written by Apostles, and Mark and Luke were written by men in close association with Jesus, and they contain a close look at what Jesus taught and did. As to the common ground, most of what is called Christianity believe that Jesus is the Son of God, (virgin born), that He died on a cross for mankind's sins, and that He arose from the dead and went back to the Heavenly Father. While there are some within various denominations who do not believe these basic truths, the doctrinal statements of their various denominations do contain them. You have to realize that there are apostates in any given group.
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Dec 10, 2006, 03:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by valinors_sorrow
    Take a look at the Jefferson Bible -- Its just what you want
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Bible
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Dec 10, 2006, 06:33 PM
    Thank you both Galveston and TheSavage, that was most interesting!
    Sorry for digressing... I now return this to the regularly scheduled question here. :o
    Zulla Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Dec 20, 2006, 06:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mar1162
    How has Christianity, a faith based on the teachings of one text (the Bible), divided into so many denominations?
    The New Testamet was between 30-50 years after Christs death. The denominations almost really come down to people taking certain techings of Jesus and sort of putting their own twist on it, which is quite dangerous. I believe it's called isegesis, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you.
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Dec 21, 2006, 04:24 PM
    I think that it is not so much a "twisting" as it is either ignoring or rejecting those passages of scripture that do not support preconcieved ideas. It is easy to formulate a doctrine based on one or a few bible verses, but if that teaching is not supported by all other relevant verses, then it cannot be true. Of course, such rejection certainly gives a twisted viewpoint.
    poppa0777 Posts: 104, Reputation: 11

May 4, 2007, 02:13 PM
    Comment on RickJ's post
    Good answer.
    poppa0777 Posts: 104, Reputation: 11

May 4, 2007, 02:17 PM
    Comment on shygrneyzs's post
    Good explanation. The Truth is not difficult to know, if we ascribe to prevailing prayer!
    buggsy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2007, 11:37 AM
    How Did Christianity Split Into Denominations
    ActionJackson Posts: 301, Reputation: 28

Jun 20, 2007, 05:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mar1162
    First of all, there are two paths that our modern Bibles have taken and the result is that there is a conflict. The most correct (and some believe word perfect) text is the Textus Receptus or the Received Text. That's the basis for the King James Bible although the numerous translators did consult some of the spurious texts.

Secondly, people are lazy. Instead of studying the Bible for themselves, they rely on some charismatic individual to come along and convince them that his interpretation is correct instead of the other guy's interpretation.

The old addage, birds of a feather flock together also plays a part in it. When everyone in a community go to church together, they sort of blend into a group dynamic which is almost a living individual in and of itself.

I test everything to the Sword of Truth which is the Word of God. If it stands, it's true, if it falls, it's not true.

However, you would probably find that many of the different denominations have more in common than they do in conflict. (Certainly not in all cases though).
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Jun 21, 2007, 05:05 AM
    The bible says that in the last days the two spirits will be so close together that it will deceive the very elect, if possible, denominations is a man made thing, God never ordered man to denominate but to preach the unadulterated Word of Christ. To be a christian is to obey the bible to the fullest.

Jun 21, 2007, 05:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marily
    The bible says that in the last days the two spirits will be so close together that it will deceive the very elect, if possible, denominations is a man made thing, God never ordered man to denominate but to preach the unadulterated Word of Christ. To be a christian is to obey the bible to the fullest.
    True. The Bible is a constant in our lives. People change. Leaders change. Man's laws change. What used to be acceptable to teach in churches of old is now considered "hate crimes" in some countries and our laws here in the U.S. are moving that direction. To adhere to a particular denomination as one might adhere to a gang is ludicrous. Seek the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I was raised "southern Baptist" but somewhere along the way, I became a Christian. All praise and glory to Jesus Christ our mighty Saviour.
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Jun 22, 2007, 02:34 AM
    Well stated AJ!

Jun 22, 2007, 03:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    Christianity is NOT based on one text. The Bible was not "the Bible" for at least 300 years after it's founder left this earth. Christianity is based on the teachings of Christ - as passed down by His apostles. ...and to boot, the Bible is not a text. It is a collection of texts from various authors over somewhere between 50 and 100 years...the first being at least 30 years after Christ left this earth. ...but that is not the answer...

Christ and His Apostles quoted from Scripture many times in the New Testament. Christ was fond of saying "it is written." Also, someone had to write down the events of the New Testament at some point during that era. What about all those "letters" Paul "wrote" to the various churches. Those "letters" are Scripture. I agree that there was not a cohesive and bound document called the Bible available for all to read but God's Word did exist in writing during and before the time of Christ.

The divisions generally come down to one thing: It is the idea of Sola Scriptura - which means "The Bible is the sole rule of doctrine and practice"

True, Sola Scriptura did pull Christians away from the established church that based most of it's teachings on man's traditions but not all the divisions can be blamed on Sola Scriptura. Some of the new Protestant churches that sprouted split on questions of which of man's traditions should remain in the church and which should not. One of Luther's closest associates believed in the 7th day Sabbath but Luther remained a
    1st day Sabbath keeper.

There are many ways to interpret many things within the Bible.

But only one truth.

Christianity was pretty much "one" for about a thousand years....then it split into East and West...with very little difference between the two.

But there were differences. The Romish church beleived that since that church was founded by Peter and that Peter (in their interpretation) was the chief Apostle that the church at Rome was the chief church. A coup of sorts was attempted by the Romish church to take control of all the churches. The other churches found that idea ludicrous and pulled away.

...then when Sola Scriptura became popular in the 16th-17th Centuries, it fractured from there to the thousands of "denominations" that it is today.
    Many of the writings of the "Church Fathers" were written to combat or clarify issues of interpretation way before the 16th and 17th centuries. There were break away churches and divisions within the church as far back as the 2nd and 3rd centuries. The Albigensians and Waldensians are notable movements that occured in the late 12th century.

I know I may sound argumentative here but it was pretty clear to me that the RickJ was blaming the various denominations on the fact that men were allowed access to the Word of God. For centuries, a man could be put to death by the Romish church for having a copy of the Bible and especially if it was written in any other language than Latin. I find that a good reason to divide.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Christianity against Astronomy? [ 21 Answers ]

I want to know why was christianity against astronomy?

Islam & Christianity [ 45 Answers ]

I am 18 years old and have been raised as an Arab-Christian. My father is Orthodox and my mother is Catholic. Both sides of my family are very old fashioned and strict. I am very conservative and have old fashion morals myself. All of my friends are Arabic, some of them being Christian and some...

Different Types of Christianity? [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone have any idea where I will be able to find a simple chart or table of some kind to see exactly what the differences are between the various types of Christianity, including Baptist, Evangelical, Methodist, Orthodox etc. I am a Christian but am intrigued as to see the exact...

Do Qumranic/Essense foundations of Christianity predate Jesus Christ? [ 9 Answers ]

Have you read the book, EDMUND WILSON. The Dead Sea Scrolls, 1947-1969, New York: Oxford University Press, 1969? As an eminent critic and author, Wilson has shown himself a man for all subjects. Though a self-confessed nonexpert on the scrolls, his narrative powers brought his work wide...

View more questions Search