Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MedicMatt67 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2010, 08:30 PM
    No compression briggs
    I have a 18.5 Briggs and Stratton engine that was was running fine with a rapping noise then decided to quit. I pulled the plug and it had little to no compression when turned over. The spark was good and it was getting fuel. I pulled the cover off the head and found one of the rocker arms pretty loose against the rod. I also found metal shavings in the draining oil and block. When I turn the top to crank it over, the piston moves up and down most of the time. Every once in a while, and inconsitantly, the crank won't move until I back it off a bit and then sometimes it will pass past that same point. I' guessing broken connecting rod? Worth fixing or replace? Thanks
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2010, 08:48 PM

I'm guessing bent rod.

You won't know until you take it apart.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2010, 06:38 AM

Hi.
    If this Is a Briggs Intek
    This was the engine the camshaft was breaking on which operates the push-rods.
    But Like KISS said you will not know until it comes apart.
    Luck
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Mar 3, 2010, 08:14 AM

Hi,
    Would first change oild (and filter) and adjust the valves to 0.004-0.006" if is a twin. Singles had the camshaft problem.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2010, 08:20 AM

18.5 would be a single

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & Stratton 14.5 HP OHV No Compression [ 3 Answers ]

My Riding mower has an 8 year old Briggs & Stratton 14.5 HP OHV Engine. Engine always maintained properly and has run well. While mowing, engine ran well for an hour and then suddenly quit for a split second, and backfired as it came back to life. I continued to mow and it did it again, the third...

Compression release 15.5 briggs motor [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 15.5 Briggs and stratton engine on a Snapper mower and from what I have read in other forums I believe the compression release is not working the way it should. Not knowing a lot about engines I have so far replaced the starter (I broke it) the solenoid, and battery cables. The...

Briggs 11.5 Mower engine no compression [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, After 3 hours of continuous use, my Airens riding mower w/ Briggs 11.5hp engine (28D707 model) made a banging noise then quit. Someone other than myself had been running it w/o checking oil. The engine was seized/frozen. Following suggestions from other helpful posts :) in this forum:...

8 horse Briggs compression spec. [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old 8 hp Briggs with 75 psi. . What is the minimum compression psi. to run?

Compression release 14hp briggs stratton [ 1 Answers ]

How to adjust compression release 14 hp briggs engine ohv,

View more questions Search