Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anerina Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2010, 09:26 PM
    ask a chemistry question
    Can someone tell me the net ionic equation of solid barium sulfite and hydrochloric acid? Confused whether to break down the compound BaSo3 into its ionic form.
    anerina Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2010, 09:36 PM

This is what I have:

Molecular equation:
    BaSO3(s) + 2HCl(aq) --> BaCl2(aq) + H20(l) + SO2(g)

Ionic (this is where I'm confused. Does the solid compound dissociate with HCl?):
    Ba2+(aq) + SO3 2-(aq) + 2H+(aq) + 2Cl-(aq) -->Ba2+(aq) + 2Cl-(aq) + H2O(l) + SO2(g)
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2010, 02:18 AM

I'm not sure either, but we usually do not cross out the solids in an ionic equation, so that we get:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question on structures in Organic Chemistry ! [ 2 Answers ]

3.52 mg of compound "A" reacts with red Phosphorous and Bromine to gine compound "B". Compound "B" on reaction with KCN fives "C" which on hydolysis gives "D". "D" is optically inactive. "D" on mild heating gives "E" & "F". "E" on further heating in presence of Soda Lime gived "F" & "G". Both "F"...

Please Help! Chemistry Half Life Question [ 0 Answers ]

SECONND ODER REACTION: 2B -->Q + 2D It was determined experimentally that it took 3.0 minutes for the concentration of B to drop from .086M to 4.3e-4 at 37 C. What is the half life in minutes under these conditions?

Chemistry question: IMPORTANT [ 1 Answers ]

NaHCO yeilds NaOH + CO2, How do you balance this equation

Chemistry moles and mass question [ 3 Answers ]

this problem is kicking my butt cause we have multiple choice and I can't seem to get any of the posted answers... please help! A 0.0100-mol sample of urea, NH2CONH2, contains 4.82 x 1022 atoms. 4.82 x 1024 atoms. 6.02 x 1022 molecules. 4.82 x 1023 atoms. 6.02 x...

Chemistry Question [ 2 Answers ]

How do you develop a Time Clock used in an experiment when determining a rate of reaction?

View more questions Search