Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alpogi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 07:13 PM
    1099 miscellaneous non-employee compensation
    Hi I work as a physician in a private group that practices in a hospital (not my employer) and the hospital gave me a bonus that is more than $600 and they provided me with 1099 misc reported on box 7 (non employee comp).
    How do I file this for my tax return, how much tax should I pay for this sign-on bonus?
    Thanks in advance
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 26, 2010, 05:04 AM

1099-misc (nonemployee compensation) income: You will report your income and business/job related expenses on schedule C or C-EZ (Form 1040). Then you put net income (or loss) on line 12 of Form 1040. This income is subject to SE tax at 15.3% (this is shown on line 5 of Form 1040).
    Even though schedule C treats you have self employed, which may not be correct for you, this is how you must report this income.
    Your U.S. Tax Return: Tax Filing by Self Employed Sole Proprietor or Independent Contractor

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am a W- 2 employee and make a small amount as a 1099 employee. [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently a W- 2 employee and also make a small amount as a 1099 employee. If I get laid off from my w-2 job will I be able to collect any unemployment? I am located in Maryland. I made less than 3,000 at my 1099 job last year.

I received a 1099-misc non-employee compensation for having my vehicle repaired. [ 2 Answers ]

I received a 1099-MISC from my vehicle insurance company. I had damage to the vehicle and the repair check came in both my name and the body shop. I simply signed the check over to the body shop when the repairs were made. Why would I get the 1099-MISC and what should I do.

Employee compensation [ 2 Answers ]

If a supervisor has to drive a work crew from one state to another, should that work site supervisor also be compensated for driving the company vehicle?

H1B Non-employee compensation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B visa and have not started the green card process yet. I presented at a Business conference and received a payment of $500 for my session. I had already filled out a W-9 form. I received the money directly through myself and not my employer. I want to know if there is any issue...

Employee compensation [ 4 Answers ]

Dear Sir/Madam, I would like to know about compensation :):)

View more questions Search