Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helpinghand Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2006, 01:30 PM
    Flickering fluorescent tube lighting
    Hi. I have the long fluorescent lighting fictures in my den (2 long fluorescent bulbs per ficture). One of the fictures (both bulbs) are flickering... more like they are half on than flickering, kind of give off a grayish appearance. I put in 2 new bulbs but got the same issue. I installed a new ballast, same issue. Actually, when I installed the new ballast and cut the lights back on, the bulbs worked fine for about 5 minutes UNTIL I cut the lights off and cut them back on and then it went right back to "flickering" or appearing to be half on again. I even tried jiggling the bulbs back and forth to make sure they were making good contact on each side. Any ideas?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2006, 01:40 PM
    The fixture is not grounded properly, or the grounding wire to it is loose or broken.

Many times if there is a green or bare wire brought to the fixture is loose at the ground screw or not connected at all. The screw should be near the ballast or the wire is folded up near it.
    helpinghand Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2006, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    The fixture is not grounded properly, or the grounding wire to it is loose or broken.

Many times if there is a green or bare wire brought to the fixture is loose at the ground screw or not connected at all. The screw should be near the ballast or the wire is folded up near it.
    Thanks for the quick reply! The ground wire is grounded at the fixture, however, I did not check to see how tight it was (although I'm assuming its fine because the ground wire is wrapped all the way around the ground screw). The ground screw is about 12 inches or more from the ballast... are you saying the distance from the ground to the ballast matters? Thanks again!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2006, 04:19 PM
    Could be the paint on the fixture causing the bad connection or not a machine screw, or the other end may not be grounded. or the ballast is loose.

The flickering is a typical symptom with fluorescent fixtures with a poor ground. The lamp starts by the capacitance of the glass tube and the grounded metal running the entire length of the tube. A poor ground metal pan affects the starting of the lamp. If the fixture is in sections be sure all tabs in slots are tight also.

If you have a volt tester you can check the ground by testing across the live black wire and the ground, and read 120 volts, also between the live black and the white at the ballast, and get 120 volts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Motion Sensing Wall Switch causes flickering lights [ 4 Answers ]

I just bought a Cooper Motion sensing wall switch. I wired it (correctly?) and I am getting flickering lights when the switch automatically turns itself off. I have good lights in the "on" positions, and when I turn the lights off there is no flicker. However, when the "motion" stops, the light...

Why is my fan fluorescent light bulb flickering? [ 2 Answers ]

10:25 AM 2/13/2006 I recently installed a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan w/florescent light kit. To control the fan and light I installed a remote switch manufactured by the same company, Harbor Breeze. The problem I am having is the fluorescent light is constantly flickering, whether the fan is...

Fluorescent dimmer [ 1 Answers ]

I've heard that dimmer switches should not be used with fluorescent lights (kitchen). True or not? I haven't found anything in the books that I have. Are there dimmer switches made just for fluorescents? Thanks for the help. Jersey

Replacing Aquarium Fluorescent Bulb? [ 1 Answers ]

I know that over time the power spectrum of a fluorescent light changes. You start to lose the shorter wavelengths (UV, blue) as the phosphors wear out. I also know that plants need those shorter wavelengths to be happy in an aquarium. So, my question is, how often should I replace the...

My flourecent lighting is flickering after 2 - 5 minutes of being on? [ 2 Answers ]

I installed the fluorescent lighting in my basement all wires seem to be hooked up OK. When we turn it on it is fine for about 2 minutes then the flickering begins to happen. The ground wire seems to be grounded but I could be wrong. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search