Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chaitanyak Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2010, 09:41 AM
    US tax returns L1 foreign income exemption
    We came to US on June 5th 2009 on L1 Visa. From IRS documents my case belongs to Resident alien. And I have income in india. Can I file for Foreign income exemption using form 2555. From IRS documents, I need to satisfy two condition to qualify.
    1) Physical presence test - I am passing this test, as I have stayed in US for 183 days.
    2) Tax home test - Can you help me to find out whether I am passing this test.

Could you help me to know whether I qualify for filing this exemption.

Feb 25, 2010, 10:19 AM

This is for my colleague , he faced some problem in posting the question hence I am posting on his behalf.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 26, 2010, 12:52 AM

In 2009 you have completed SPT so you are dual status. If you are not married, you must file dual status tax return.

Feb 26, 2010, 07:54 AM

Hi my question is about " Tax home test - Can you help me to find out whether i am passing this test. ".
    Could you help me to know whether I qualify for filing this exemption.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 26, 2010, 10:54 AM

You have passed substantial presence test so you are resident from July 5, 2009.
    I am not aware of tax home test.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income Tax Exemption for Non Resident Aliens, USA [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Australian. I joined a company in Florida, usa in Nov 08. Visa category E3. That means, I worked in USA for 3 months, but I was out of USA for more than 2 months out of the 3 months of 2008. In 2009, I worked from Jan09 to May 09. I ended my job, but will be paid severence pay...

F-1 chinese student and tax exemption for income through OPT [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Tax Expert, I am a F-1 student from China, and this is my 8th year under F-1 (a second degree). I had income through internship under OPT in 2008, which is above $5,000 and is reported in W-2 form. I have filed 1040NR-EZ 2008 tax return but was denied the $5000 tax exemption, as I result...

Should CA state disability income be claimed on tax returns? [ 1 Answers ]

Must I claim CA State disability income on my federal and state income tax returns?

Income Tax Returns [ 2 Answers ]

Can my mother in law file for joint if she live in different state from her husband? She hasn't been working since last year and been staying with us.. Can her husband claim her or can I claim her? Can her husband file for joint even though he hasn't been supporting her?

View more questions Search