Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lauriejim Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2010, 05:17 PM
    Tax levys on social security checks
    How long can the IRS hold out 15% on a SS check, our only income is from my husbands SS check 1420.00 mo. they are now taking 213.00 out, we oew back taxes from when we had a small business, the housing market fell out and we lost our home, we now have to survive off this, I'm just afraid, can they take all of it or just the 15% every month, we owe 78k in back taxes which includes interest and penaltys, I hope to save and do a one time deal with the IRS that I have read about, any advice from anyone will be so helpful... thanks, laurie
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 23, 2010, 06:51 PM

They will keep taking it till the entire amount owed is paid off.
    lauriejim Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2010, 07:16 PM

Is there anything I can do legally, I don't have the money to pay it and at 213.00 a month, that's not even touching the interest, which is still building daily if I'm not mistaken... thanks, laurie
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 23, 2010, 07:22 PM

Have you talked to them about trying to work out a settlement for less money ? But they are allowed to do this, unless you can prove you did not owe the money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can Social Security garnish their own checks? [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to file for S.S. benefits at age 62. I was told I owed S.S. money some years ago. I filed a waiver and was exonerated from paying some $9,000. I just received another form-inquiry from S.S. to complete asking what I did with some $5,000. This money was covered under the waiver I had...

Attaching social security checks [ 1 Answers ]

Can a credit company attach your social security disability check?

Social Security Disability Levys Response [ 1 Answers ]

Please understand that while SSD can not be directly garnished by your credit card company or a hospital, IT CAN BE ATTACHED BY CHILD SUPPORT, TAXES AND SOCIAL SERVICES.

Social security tax [ 2 Answers ]

Hi to all members of this forum and I hope we can establish a good relation ship. My question is the following. I was working in the US for several years under an H.1 visa and during several years I have been paying all the taxes like the rest of the US citizen and non citizen. In my case...

View more questions Search