Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daveyfuentes Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2006, 08:20 AM
    91 honda civic lx- Help
    Ok so I need to get my car working in less than a week cause I start college next Monday. I read the help thread and tried problem solving it myself but still no luck. The car would hard start for a month and then it would not start for days. I would pump the gas while turing over the key and it would act like it wanted to start but just couldn't get there. Now it does nothing. I talked to a guy and he told me to replace the fuel pump well after a wonderful weekend wasted I changed the pump. Still nothing. I also changed the plug wires since they had not been changed in years. The plugs were changed just last year so I have been told. I replaced the fuel filter as well. But this morning I went down there to check on the plugs and I removed three of the four. I noticed that one of them was loose. I tightened it up and put the plugs back in. still nothing. I also tried the old trick of putting my screwdriver in my plug wire and seeing if a spark jumped when I held it close to something metal. Well there was no spark jumping. I am going to replace the plugs today and get back to you but I still feel like that's not going to do the trick. Please shine some light on my problem because I'm up creek without a paddle. Thanks a lot
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2006, 08:40 AM
    Answer these 3 basic diagnostic questions for me in a 1-2-3 format:

1. When you turn the ignition switch to ON (not START), does the Check Engine Light (CEL) come on and then go off after 2 seconds?

2. When the CEL goes out, do you hear (or feel) the main relay "click"?

3. During the 2 second interval that the CEL is on, do you hear the fuel pump in the gas tank run?
    daveyfuentes Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2006, 09:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyfuentes
    Ok so I need to get my car working in less than a week cause i start college next monday. I read the help thread and tried problem solving it myself but still no luck. The car would hard start for a month and then it would not start for days. I would pump the gas while turing over the key and it would act like it wanted to start but just couldnt get there. Now it does nothing. I talked to a guy and he told me to replace the fuel pump well after a wonderful weekend wasted i changed the pump. Still nothing. I also changed the plug wires since they had not been changed in years. The plugs were changed just last year so i have been told. I replaced the fuel filter as well. But this morning i went down there to check on the plugs and i removed three of the four. I noticed that one of them was loose. i tightened it up and put the plugs back in. still nothing. I also tried the old trick of putting my screwdriver in my plug wire and seeing if a spark jumped when i held it close to something metal. Well there was no spark jumping. I am going to replace the plugs today and get back to you but i still feel like thats not going to do the trick. Please shine some light on my problem because im up creek without a paddle. thanks alot
    The answer to txgreasemonkey's questions is yes to all three. The light comes on and off 2 secs. I hear a click. And the pump is kicking up some nosie. Please help. Anyone who has any idea please help
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2006, 11:21 AM
    Based on your answers to those 3 questions, nothing real serious is wrong with your Civic. My diagnosis is that you probably have a bad ICM (igniter). Autozone and O'Reilly Auto Parts will test igniters and coils for free. I would remove the igniter and coil and have them tested. If you took your Civic to a Honda dealer for servicing, they would replace both items. Personally, I would replace the igniter, coil, rotor, and distributor cap, while you have everything apart and due to the age of your car.

Remove the coil before removing and installing the igniter--it gives you more working space. If your old igniter tests OK and you decide to reinstall it, remember to coat the back of it with silicone grease or it will shortly fail. Silicone grease assists in dissapating the heat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

94 honda civic ex [ 6 Answers ]

Well I have an 94 civic ex and it's giving me problems and the problem is that when I shift gear and go (happens on every gear) then its making this sound from the engin and plus the car is'nt picking up speed like not enough airflow going though or burning gas so I think my trans bad or clucth is...

92 honda civic [ 1 Answers ]

My Civic will not start. When it was running it made a rumbling sound like dut dut dut dut. So I change the spark plugs, the wires, the distributor cap and the rotor in the distributor. Now the car will not start and when I try to start it it will get to the point where it will almost start it...

91 honda civic [ 1 Answers ]

When I start my car it makes a loud and constant grinding noise it recently had the oil drained and was sitting without oil for about two weeks?

Honda civic [ 3 Answers ]

My 90 honda civic lx 1.5 twin turbo with intake and cat back exaust won't turn over... it just clicks when I hit the key. I replaced the starter.. still just clicks... checked relays and fuses... im lost please help

View more questions Search