Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trcamp2 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2010, 05:39 PM
    Track lighting - low vs line voltage and best lamp for warm light
    Hi, I am installing track lighting in my living room (ceiling slopes from 9 to 12 ft) and the track will be placed low at about 9 or 10 ft. I want the light to feel warm (create a warm ambiance) AND I need the light to: 1) "point" at a painting about 10 ft away, 2) "point" at a painting about 5 ft away, 3) "point" reading quality light at a recliner about 7 ft away, and 4) uplight the ceiling to create some general purpose lighting for the room. With all the new products on the market, I'm not sure what's my best option.

Should I use line voltage or low voltage? And what type (and wattage) of lamp should I use? (I'd like to use an energy efficient approach if it will meet my needs. Initial fixture/install costs are not really a concern.)

Thanks very much!
    leifweaver Posts: 39, Reputation: 11

Feb 20, 2010, 07:52 PM

For reading quality light at your recliner the light can not come from in front of the recliner. This inevitably creates both glare and shadows on the page, and makes for a poor reading experience. Lighting for reading, ideally, should come from above and slightly to the right or left of where the book is held. Track lighting can work fine in this placement, but otherwise I would recommend a second lighting source, or a floor lamp.

Otherwise, for the other applications, I would recommend low voltage halogens. I have a track of 5 that illuminate two paintings (2 fixtures per painting) and have replaced 2 of the halogens with LED bulbs. I will replace the others sometime in the future when the can get warmer LEDs, but right now, replacing 2 of them seems to be the right mix.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2010, 05:01 AM
    If you use halogen, and a dimmer, be sure the halogen is rated to be dimmed.

Standard halogens do not react well to being dimmed.

Track lighting, with any lamp, is great for accent lighting, such as wall hangings, or general lighting for an area, but not a good idea for task lighting, as mentioned by Lief. The floor lamp behind the recliner is a great idea.

No difference between low or line voltage regarding energy savings, a watt is a watt.

Since incandescent is what we are all use to, it is the "warm" light we are use to.

Incandescent lamps are 2700 Deg Kelvin in color temperature. Halogens are typically 2800K. If you use compact fluorescent lamps, find something in the 2700K to 3000K range. Anything higher in K temperature will not be "warm".

Feb 21, 2010, 06:45 PM

Thanks for the detailed posts. Are there halogen lamps that are warmer than other halogen lamps? If I go with halogen I want to maximize the warm ambiance.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2010, 03:35 AM
    2800 D Kelvin will be the best you can find.

Feb 22, 2010, 11:52 AM
    Thanks tkrussell and leifweaver for the input. I appreciate it very much!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Halogen - line voltage (120v) or low voltage (12v) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi. I am renovating the kitchen and plan to install small halogen MR16 ceiling pot lights. Contrast and Lightolier have been recommended. At least, the Contrast line is available with either line or low voltage feeds. These questions come up as the plan calls for 9x35w MR16 (ceiling pot...

Track lights: low voltage vs line voltage.comsume the same electricity in the end? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi! I just installed a section of track light in my living room just to see what it would look like and so far I'm not convinced... you see, I had a regular celing lamp with a 75w incandescent bulb and the room was very well lit... now with the track light I find that I need 3 fixtures with halogen...

Outside metal lamp casing reads hot-low voltage leaks through-troubleshooting? [ 5 Answers ]

My mother is attached to a hard sought and found outside wall mount lamp above her garage. The metal lamp case sets off my current indicator as much as 110-120 volts do. I knew we have touched it in the past with no consiquences unknowing it was a bit hot. So the voltage leaking into it is low....

How many lights can be installed on a Hampton Bay low voltage track lighting system? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay low voltage tracking lighting system that uses a toroidal transformer to provide 12 VDC to the track rails. The system was purchased from Home Depot and has two sets of identifying numbers. The bar code reads: 73546 15055 and the SKU appears to be 447 909. The system comes...

View more questions Search