Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frejock Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2010, 06:17 PM
    ITIN for baby
    Hi all,
    I am a resident alien working on H1-B. My wife(H4 visa) joined me in the US in 2008(202 days) and got her ITIN last year when we filed jointly.
    After spending 90 days in US in 2009, she went to our home country to deliver a child and both of them joined me in 2010.

Filing taxes for 2009, do you think my wife has satisfied substantial presence test to be eligible for dependent tax credit?
    Do we qualify for baby credit considering the baby was not in the US until 2010?
    I have been providing for my wife and baby's living/medical expenses abroad so can I list them for deductions?
    Do I need to apply for my baby's ITIN at the time of filing?

Appreciate your response. Thanks in advance.

-F
    suhari Posts: 56, Reputation: 3

Feb 19, 2010, 06:30 PM

He only way to get an ITIN for your wife and two children is to attach the three Form(s) W-7 to your tax return and mail to IRS for processing. Generally you will claim your wife's exemption and the dependency exemption for your two children if they qualify as your dependents. As for your two college age children you cannot claim a person as a dependent unless that person is a US citizen, US resident alien, US national or a resident of Canada or Mexico, for some part of the year. You don't say where 'your country' is but unless they meet the rule above you cannot claim them as dependents.

If they do meet that rule and they do qualify as your dependents you would also have to have Form W-7 for each of your college age children and they would also need to be attached to your tax return prior to mailing to IRS for processing.
    frejock Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2010, 01:32 AM

So does it mean my daughter does not require an ITIN while filing taxes?

Also can your immediate dependents' medical expenses qualify for deductions?

Thanks
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Feb 20, 2010, 10:54 AM
    I'm sorry; this post from suhari is confusing me. Who said anything about college age children in frejock's post?

The issues are:
    Is the wife resident? The answer is no; 202/3 (2008)=67.3+90.0 (2009)=157.3 does not satisfy the substantial presence test. You may however take the spousal exemption of $3,650 and claim the filing status of Married Filing Jointly as long as she has elected to be treated as a US resident under sec. 6013(g).

Is the baby resident? The answer is no. She was not a US resident in 2009. Thus, you may not claim the child tax credit or dependent deduction for that year.
    Nevertheless, you may claim a deduction for medical expenses since you paid them.

Apply for your baby's ITIN or SS# (depending on your circumstaces) in 2010.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non-married HSMP visa holder expecting baby.will the baby have UK citizenship ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello.. any advice will be appreciated. I am currently in the UK on the HSMP visa and in 2012 can apply for indefinite leave to remain and then citizenship. I am pregnant with my first child and am estranged from the father who is a UK citizen. We are not married. Will my child be a UK citizen...

ITIN Rejected. No Accurate Data on the ITIN Status from IRS [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I'm originally from Ukraine and got married to an American in 2008. When filing our tax return as married filing jointly my husband and I submitted a W-7 form with a copy of my passport to get an ITIN. 6 weeks later we got a letter from IRS saying that we did not provide sufficient...

Ooh baby baby? The song/beat Timberland copied [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Thanks for taking time on this, I've been trying to search for the name of the song that Timbaland remade, I can't seem to find any answers anywhere, Its like the songs been erased from existence. It was an old school American techno rap beat with ladies singing "Ooh baby baby" If...

BABY DADDY Fighting for Parental Rights and baby live part-time with his wife / kids [ 16 Answers ]

I have been in an extra-marital relationship for six months with a man who was "leaving" his wife. He told me repeatedly that they were living as roommates and he was moving out soon. Once this went on for some time, I decided I was worth more and broke up with him. I found out a few days later...

View more questions Search