Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    geniegee2003 Posts: 46, Reputation: 4

Feb 18, 2010, 06:15 PM
    Problems with smiling
    I work in a pub/bar, I don't like my job and I am looking for another job at the moment which I will enjoy, however my lack of enthusiasm really shows through when I'm working.
    As a result I constantly get harassed by customers who persistantly tell me to "Smile" or "Cheer up" or "Smile it's your job".
    The problem is I really can't bring myself to smile at these people who harass me all the time. I know it's part of my job to smile, but I hate my job, I have no enthusiasm for the job and most people expect me to smile the kind of smile when you show teeth.
    I hate showing my teeth not because they are dirty or badly taken care of but because I just look stupid, so how can I smile at these people, and look interested and enthusiastic in my job when I don't want to show teeth. I try fake smiling but it just looks really fake and patronising.
    Any tips or ideas.
    Please don't advise me to get a new job, because I'm looking for another one at the moment
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2010, 06:25 PM

Most days I like my job so it's not hard to smile. But trust me, there are other days when I'd love nothing more than to quit and tell all my customers to get lost. But since that's not really an option I have to actively look for things to smile about. Like if there's a nice customer after a string of rude people, I focus on the nice person and that makes me feel better. And while I'm dealing with the rude ones I think about how worth it faking that smile will be when I get my next review and how it'll help me get a better raise.

And you're probably the only one that thinks you look stupid when you show your teeth.
    Aprilmay12 Posts: 33, Reputation: 7

Feb 19, 2010, 12:07 AM

Have you been to a Starbucks? Those empolyees are notorious for being overlly cheerful and nice. It almost makes me want to vomit but maybe you could learn a thing or two from them.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 19, 2010, 12:12 AM

Just think about throwing a drink on these people or seeing them in their underwear. That should get you to smile. :)

It won't be forever, you'll get something else and then move on. Until then, you work in a place that prides itself on customer service and part of your job, as sad as it is, is to be happy, smile, be accessible.

Smile, it makes people wonder what you're thinking. :)

I wish you luck on your job search.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2010, 05:22 PM
    I guess what I would say is how would you feel if you were served by someone that had an expression like yours? You'd probably want to say the same thing - cheer up for heaven's sake!

It's called the 'service industry' for a reason - you're serving people who are having a drink and trying to have a good time.

It's actually not that hard - the people you're serving probably all hate their jobs as well and don't want to take on your negative energy. Try to be a little empathetic instead of making it all about you.

It's your job to smile and be courteous to customers. That's what you're being paid for. So think of your next pay packet and smile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do you do if the girl you like has a boyfriend but, she keeps smiling at me? [ 10 Answers ]

Threads merged I work with this girl that I really like and she will always smile at me and sometimes we will talk. She has been smiling at me ever since the first day we seen each other. I don't know if she is just doing it to be nice or if she might think I'm cute. She does give me more...

View more questions Search