Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 04:03 PM
    Food processors
    I have just purchased a 14 cup food processor. I did look into it before and found a lot about them, but am still unsure about certain things...

Can I use it like I use my old stand mixer (which the motor is burning out, over 30 years old) I would like to toss it, but it still works if I watch it carefully.

Can I whip cream?
    Can I make cakes?
    Can I make milk shakes? My old mixer has a blender attached to it. It's more like a kitchen center.
    Basically, can I use it like a mixer and/or blender?

Everything about it makes it seem like I can, but it also seems to good to be true:rolleyes:

My old one has a meat grinder that I have only used a couple times, so not to worried about that part everything else seems to be part of the new food processor (disks, slicers, dough blade, etc. ) but I would like some opinions to see if I can dump the old mixer now.

tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 04:09 PM

Don't dump your old mixer. You can't whip cream, It is a wonderful appliance when you are processing veggies or canning. It probably has different blades. My husband bought me one when we lived in Michigan because our garden was so extensive and I started canning. I still have a Moulinex and use it frequently.

Get to know it well, You will be happy with your purchase.

Tick
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 04:12 PM

Mostly it depends on the blades and the strength rating. Some allow for expanded use and some don't. If you received a book with it that should tell you the extent of what can be done with what. Most are for chopping and grinding but even with those limitations you can get very creative.
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 04:55 PM
    Thanks you guys, for the quick answers. I will experiment and see what happens. I won't toss the old one until I have tried everything or it breaks down. I'll just move it into storage at this point (but reachable)
    I have a very small kitchen:eek:

I know once I toss it, I'm going to get into grinding meat and be out of luck:rolleyes:
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 05:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    Thanks you guys, for the quick answers. I will experiment and see what happens. I won't toss the old one until I have tried everything or it breaks down. I'll just move it into storage at this point (but reachable)
    I have a very small kitchen:eek:

I know once I toss it, I'm going to get into grinding meat and be out of luck:rolleyes:
    Just remember. Depending on the age and condition of your old equiptment it not only can be repaired. Such as motor brushs. It may be worth a lot of money depending on what you have. So when you set it aside don't throw it away until you investigate it.
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Just remember. Depending on the age and condition of your old equiptment it not only can be repaired. Such as motor brushs. It may be worth alot of money depending on what you have. So when you set it aside dont throw it away until you investigate it.
    It's an Oster Kitchen Center, which was great for about 30 years for me, and it was given to me buy a chef who had bought something new. (who knows how old it really is) They no longer make 'everything in one unit' and I don't have room for 6 different appliances.

I have seen it on Ebay unused for about $300.00, so I'm sure mine isn't worth much after so much use.
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 06:11 PM

Then its worth keeping.

Ref:

Oster Kitchen Center Parts at Goodman's Small Appliance & Housewares

And it looks like you can still get parts.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 18, 2010, 06:31 AM

I don't know if you have recycling stores in your state whereby old used but still workable appliances can be resold to benefit people with disabilities; we have a couple of half way houses in town where disabled adults live and work in the recycling store. We have such in Ontario and all my workable items go there to be resold.

I don't have a new food processor but it's a Moulinex and has always been invaluable in my kitchen. From time to time in summer months I make saurkraut and the cabbage has to be sliced really thin for it to ferment properly in brine. I use my food processor for this. Also great for shredding carrots for recipes like carrot cake. I also make my own pesto sauce in the food processor; prechop garlic and store in jars in fridge, etc. Just a few ideas for you.

Tick
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2010, 07:36 PM

Dahlia - I have a food processor (only a 4 cup continuous feed from Wolfgang Puck). And yes, I can whip cream in it. In fact I make my own concoction I call "ice cream" in it. I take heavy whipping cream and some frozen strawberries, blueberries or cherries that I froze last summer and make my own ice cream with it. I only add a tsp of sugar.

It comes out just dandy. I put into freezer to freeze solid and then take out to eat the next day. Yummy!

My son complains that since I bought that food processor all I seem to make with it is ice cream! I do make other things but he just sees (or hears) me making the ice cream.

Don't throw your old mixer away. Get it repaired and enjoy another 30 years of dependable service. The older appliances don't seem to die. They just keep going and going.
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 19, 2010, 07:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Dahlia - I have a food processor (only a 4 cup continuous feed from Wolfgang Puck). And yes, I can whip cream in it. In fact I make my own concoction I call "ice cream" in it. I take heavy whipping cream and some frozen strawberries, blueberries or cherries that I froze last summer and make my own ice cream with it. I only add a tsp of sugar.

It comes out just dandy. I put into freezer to freeze solid and then take out to eat the next day. Yummy!!

My son complains that since I bought that food processor all I seem to make with it is ice cream!! I do make other things but he just sees (or hears) me making the ice cream.

Don't throw your old mixer away. Get it repaired and enjoy another 30 years of dependable service. The older appliances don't seem to die. They just keep going and going.
    Not sure how old your son is but food processors are great for making salsa and he can do it with your supervision. Im sure he would love that.
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2010, 05:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Not sure how old your son is but food processors are great for making salsa and he can do it with your supervision. Im sure he would love that.
    Sonny is 26. His father adored home made salsa that I would make from scratch. He's not that into salsa like dad was. He's a good cook on his own having been taught by a professional chef who is friends with Wolfgang Puck (of all people).
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2010, 11:59 AM

Dahlia - I forgot to mention that I make ice fruit in the processor as well. I just use frozen fruit of any kind and add just a touch of bottled water then pop it back into the freezer. Yummy. I like this in the evening in the summer as a cool me off treat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MPGA478 and mPGA478B processors [ 3 Answers ]

I've got a mother board here that needs a new processor, the socket says mPGA 478B on it, but I was wondering what/if there is a difference between a socket 478B and socket 478 processor. Also will a regular 478 work in a 478B socket?

Compare processors [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I need to compare a pentium 4 3.0 Ghz processor with a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ fx 2.2 ghz processor, which one of these 2 processors is better? Both in terms of performance and value for money. Cause I think the P4 clock speed is higher than the AMD, but still the AMD processor is more...

Compare processors [ 13 Answers ]

I'm confused.:confused: it used to be that ghz was the benchmark to decide speed and power of processors, but no I'm not sure anymore. I currently have a 32bit Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz processor and 2GB RAM. (from 2006) I'm looking to upgrade. Maybe an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-920...

Updated Processors [ 1 Answers ]

What Is The Most Updated Processor ? What Is Pentium-d ?

View more questions Search