Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    monchote Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2010, 02:01 AM
    What is the name for the # symbol?
    Hi, I want know if is there some page where I can find how to spell evry single symbol in english like #;@;%;& and matematics; computing symbols... thanks
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 15, 2010, 11:04 AM

Here you go - look at the table on the right side of the page:

Punctuation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note that the "#" symbol goes by different names, depending on its usage. It can be shorthand for "number," or used as a symbol meaning "pounds" (an old engineering usage that has been adopted by many as the name of the lower right button on a telehone key pad) or is sometimes called a "hash mark."

Another potentially confusing one is "." - it's a period mark, used to end a sentence, But it is also called "point" for use with numbers - hence 3.1416 is spoken as "three point one four one six." And it's called "dot" with computers - hence an IP address of 192.168.1.1 is spoken as "one ninety-two dot one sixty-eight dot one dot one."
    oceanmist Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2010, 01:43 PM

Its called Pound
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2010, 02:07 PM

ebaines: Nice job!
    monchote Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2010, 03:45 PM
    Thanks for you help, was very useful to me and had improve my english a little bit...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The name of symbol < [ 1 Answers ]

What is the name of <

What is the name of this symbol [ 4 Answers ]

I'm trying to find the name of a symbol. It looks like a V with a line in the middle. Around the V is a helix. Kind of like part of an E in script

What does this symbol mean? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a pendant with Chinese or Japanese symbol, and I don't know what does it mean. Could you help me to find an answer? Thanks for your help

What symbol? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! What symbol is this? ftp://rth.ath.cx/pub/koru/IMG_4826.JPG What does it represent? I bought the pendant from a little shop in Amsterdam 10 years ago, and if I remember correctly, the salesperson said it represents hope. I'd like to verify if that's correct. Thanks!

Does anyone know what this symbol is? [ 2 Answers ]

I had a vision a few days ago . I am trying to find out what this symbol means that I saw next to the man who was to destroy a nation. The vision is as follows Last night I was awakened in my sleep to a word from God. I have been having visions starting December 22, 2007 and have recently been...

View more questions Search