Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coldfire510 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2010, 11:11 AM
    Doorbell transformer overheated
    A few weeks ago, I came home to find my doorbell button stuck in, and the transformer was very hot. There was also a buzzing noise coming from the chime box. I unstuck the button and eventually the transformer cooled back down.

Now, the button is lit up, but when you press it, the chime box just makes the buzzing noise (as long as you hold down the button for). Do you guys think I need to replace the transformer or the chime box? Thanks!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2010, 11:16 AM

Measure voltage from transformer, if low, possibly internally shorted windings, If OK, maybe the chime coil has some shorted turns?
    If you only are using front door, try switching front door wire to back door wire, that coil may still be good.
    coldfire510 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2010, 11:56 AM
    I switched to the back door wire and it works now. I'll use it like this until that coil goes out (hopefully doesn't happen again), then replace the chime unit. Thank you for your help!
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2010, 09:26 PM
    Since the problem was caused by the stuck doorbell button, I'd change the button as well. No point in letting it happen again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot doorbell transformer [ 9 Answers ]

My doorbell stopped working. I tried replacing the transformer, but noticed it got very hot when I connected the wires that go to the chime. I even bought a second transformer and it is also getting very hot. The wires at the chime and to the door bell ringer are disconnected and hangling...

Doorbell Transformer Location [ 4 Answers ]

I have a doorbell that is not working. I know it is the transformer - but I can't seem to locate the transformer in the house anywhere. It is not by the electrical panel either. How do I go about finding it? Thanks, carol

Our 87 Subaru overheated! [ 1 Answers ]

We recently bought a 87 Subaru GL wagon. It had to have the after market weber carb rebuilt. But after that it ran great, until today:( We were driving on the freeway at 75 to 80 mph abot 20 miles out of our town and I smelled coolant and checked my gauge. It was past the hot mark! I pulled off the...

Cpu Overheated [ 1 Answers ]

My CPU overheated on Dell B120 actually melted the little cover over the heat sink. I found where the fan blows air through the sink was blocked with fuzz. Now the problem is the computer is dead now no lights no sounds. P/S putting out 19v measuring at plug back inside laptop the voltage is 3v....

Overheated motor even when off [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have three Hampton Bay 52" fans in my lanai. They are three years old. Recently, one stopped working but the light kit functioned properly. I thought the switch has most likely worn out. Upon reaching up to begin disassembly, I discovered the motor and fan blade connections were so hot...

View more questions Search