Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gabriela1999 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2006, 09:18 AM
    Adding a circuit
    I'm finishing a basement and think it's best to start fresh with a new circuit for a room we're building. There is a spare circuit breaker already in the panel (30 amps), so I suppose I could just run the 12 gauge wire from it (no need to change to 20 amp breaker?). Also, how many more 20 amp circuits and breakers can I add to the panel - what's the maximum? Many thanks - G
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2006, 09:34 AM
    #12 wire is only rated for 20 amps, so a new 20 amp circuit needs a 20 amp circuit breaker. You risk a fire if you connect a #12 wire to a 30 amp breaker.

The label on the inside of the panel door will list how many circuits your panel can handle, the maximum for any panel is 42 circuits, including each two pole breaker counted as two circuits.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Aug 26, 2007, 03:41 PM
    I'm with TK.

Q: When you say room. What kind of room?
    Q: Year of home [or kind of service rated panel: Manufact, breakers or fuses, etc?]
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2007, 05:19 AM
    Washinton, this post is almost a year old. I would hope the basement is done by now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding chemicals [ 1 Answers ]

I need step by step instruction on adding chemicals to a 36" high inflatable pool. I don't know where to start after filling the pool.

Adding a heater to an existing circuit. [ 3 Answers ]

I want to place a 240V electric base board heater in a room. In the adjacent room I have a conveniently placed electric wall oven by itself on a 50 Amp circuit with 8 gauge wire. The oven is only rated at 30 Amps and the heater at 4.5 amps. So, I want to run wire from the oven to where the...

Adding a GFI [ 1 Answers ]

In my breaker box for my pool pump, there is a GFI outlet. Would it be possible to daisy chain another GFI outlet off it? I am wanting to put an outlet about sixty feet from where the box is at by my pool.

Adding a bath [ 4 Answers ]

I want to add a small bath (shower, sink, toilet) in a 2nd floor gameroom. There is a closet it can be built into but there is no plumbing nearby to connect to. Closet is on inclosed garage room wall. How does one go about this and what is an estimated cost. Thanks to all who help me out. KiKi

Outside GFI circuit - 15amp outlet on 20amp circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I need a better understanding of what I should do when setting up my new outdoor circuit. I've got a circuit that runs about 150 feet, so I'm installing 10g wire to allow for the voltage drop. I read in the Home Depot Electrical 123 book that I can have at most a 15amp circuit with 10g wire on...

View more questions Search