Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pardon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2010, 06:18 AM
    How do I hook up two submersible pumps from two separate wells to one tank?
    I have two wells with two tanks. I have it set up so I can run each submersible pump separatly. Each pump has it's own pressure switch. I would like to remove the two tanks and replace them with one large tank. How do I set this up with both pumps going to one tank with one switch, and still run one pump at a time. Thanks... Don Harris
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 9, 2010, 07:47 AM
    I would call Zoeller engineer and ask them to design such a system for you. They'll be glad to do so... Zoeller Corporation

But in the interim: From my experience, I would have them hooked up on a switch that alternates between those two pumps. One pump runs, the other rests. The other pump runs, the first one rests... Make sure you have good check valves installed on each pump...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 9, 2010, 08:59 AM

It would depend upon whether you want the pumps opposing, as Milo suggests or work in tandem with two pumps going at the same time to one tank with a single outlet. What's your pleasure?
    Just let us know. Tom
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2010, 10:20 AM

Pardon, do the two tanks presently feed into one system? If so, then the two tanks are already equalizing pressure into each other. That being the case, why not just continue to use two switches with two pumps feeding into one tank? I would try to make the cutin/cutout points about the same, but I don't see why that wouldn't work.
    sumold Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2012, 08:15 AM
    Saw your old post and am looking for the type of switch you suggested and where I can get it. I also have two wells and only one pressure switch and tank. I have been removing the wires from the pressure switch each time I switch to the other well and it requires a lot of crawling in a damp tight crawl space. At 67 it's get'n kind of old! Any help would be appreciated. Email me at [email protected]. THANK YOU!!
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 29, 2012, 09:13 AM
    Would a double post pressure switch be the answer? Check it out at. http://www.sta-rite.com/resources/images/13433.pdf Good luck, Tom
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2012, 06:14 PM
    Why not just use two switches? One to one pump, and the other to the second pump.

Why switch pumps? I guess if you really want to do that, with two switches you could put a cut-off on both. Just switch the one on you want to use.

Speedball, not sure what the double post switch link is about. Most switches are double post (two adjusting nuts). Did I miss something?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 29, 2012, 10:49 PM
    Install a 3-way switch. Switch can be installed on the line any where between the panel and the tanks.
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Aug 30, 2012, 06:34 AM
    I never got this question answered.
    It would depend upon whether you want the pumps opposing, as Milo suggests or work in tandem with two pumps going at the same time to one tank with a single outlet. What's your pleasure?
    Let me know, Tom

Aug 30, 2012, 07:44 AM
    Your iquick responses are appreciated!!

I now have a dp pressure switch. As you know there is only room for one set of line and load wires. I have been rewiring the load wires for each pump every time I needed to switch wells. I need to use the two wells because of water issues, during the summer months. Before the second well was put in we kept running out of water in the summer. The 1st well is located under the house in the crawl space and when the pump went out it was a real chore pulling the pump (move furniture, cut hole in floor for access, etc). 2nd well was dug away from the house but went 900+ feet mostly through ledge rock, no water. Moved over 40ft started over, again all through ledge rock, hit water at 400+ ft, driller went another 400 ft for some reserve. In summer months number 2 well is used because burying lines over ledge rock to house below frost line for winter use became an expensive issue to solve.

About the 3way switch. Will this work with for the one dp pressure switch and tank I now use for both wells? I forgot to tell all that I am also switching the water lines. Sorry for not getting back sooner to you all!!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 30, 2012, 09:29 AM
    No on the 3-way switch. You would need a 240v 3-way switch. That switch would be installed after the pressure switch. They are available but expensive. Simpler and cheaper to to use two pressure switches.

Doesn't do much good to make switching the electric easy if you have to crawl up under the house to repipe the water lines.
    Tee the two well pipes together with a pressure switch on each line before the tee. Put check valves on if necessary.

Then you can switch wells by flipping the switch from a convenient location.

Aug 30, 2012, 10:40 AM
    OK... let me digest this information...
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 30, 2012, 03:15 PM
    Have I missed something here? This is the third time I've asked this question and haven't got a answer yet. One more time.
    Think the third time may be a Charm? Tom

Aug 30, 2012, 03:45 PM
    Speedball, I only want to run one pump at a time and I want to make the switch to the other pump without having to crawl on my hands and knees in that tight crawl space.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 30, 2012, 03:52 PM
    You don't need a plumber for that. You need a electrician. Good luck, Tom
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2012, 06:53 PM
    Just curious. What state are you in? You are really going deep to get to water.

Aug 31, 2012, 05:01 AM
    I am in Maine.

Aug 31, 2012, 01:57 PM
    Harold, looked things over and your suggestion is doable for us. Thank you for your input!!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2012, 04:11 PM
    How about 2 2 Pole Switches side by side, Then you could have 1, the other or both.
    If you want the switch location Located remotely with out running the big wires,
    You could have 2 24 volt 2 Pole Contactors, a tranformer, and 2 switches and control remotely.

Will provide a drawing if you like.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2012, 03:33 AM
    Maine here also.

Why not a pump controller? This is for septic pumps, but will work for well pumps, keeping both pressure switches;

http://diversifiedfluidcontrols.com/...rol_Panels.pdf

This will automatically switch from pump to pump, or use in manual mode.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hook an RV to large lp gas tank [ 9 Answers ]

Hi. I'm looking for help hooking up my 5th wheel to a bulk propane cylinder (100 lb) that I use for my mobile home. I intend to leave it in one location for long periods and want to utilize the bulk tanks instead of constantly taking the 2 thirty lb tanks to refill. Can it be done and what...

Circulating Pumps - submersible pumps - low efficiency [ 1 Answers ]

Hello people, Well I was selecting some hot water circulating pumps and submersible pumps, for a rather big project. I consulted GRUNDFOS (can't get bigger than that). For the hot water circulating pumps, Grundfos informed me that the best selection according to my (flow, head)...

Wells and pumps [ 2 Answers ]

I have a couple questions and I am not sure the answer too. Maybe someone can help me please! How do I tap into an existing well with another pump in other words how to run two pumps off one well?:eek: The reason is because I have a couple rental properties and I have one well to one pump that...

Air infiltration, well, submersible pump, bladder tank [ 7 Answers ]

I have a shallow well with a submersible pump and a bladder pressure tank. Yesterday I noticed air coming out of the faucets, etc.. When I checked the plumbing around the pressure tank I could see the particle filter case was almost full of air. I have clear braided hose on both the feed to the...

View more questions Search