Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boogaloo1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2010, 04:11 PM
    1998 honda accord won't start
    It is -10C and my 4 cylinder Honda won't start. It turns over like crazy, but will not fire. The fuel tanks is 3/4 full. The main relay seems to click twice when going from the off position to the start position and is located under the dash by the steering column. This is the second time in a week that this has happened. Last time it just fixed itself as I tried to start it a half dozen times over 2 days and then it just started. It has run for a week without any problems, until today when it would not start again. What is my next thought? I am about 70 miles from a Honda dealer and if I can trouble shoot it myself I would just go and pick up the parts from them instead of having to tow it that far.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2010, 06:14 PM

If the Check Engine Light comes on for two seconds and then goes out, when the ignition switch is turned to ON (Position II), then I would replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

If the problem persists, after changing the ICM and coil, replace the distributor housing only with one made by Honda. Over 50% of new aftermarket distributors for Hondas have not worked at AMHD. It's fine to install an aftermarket ICM and coil in the Honda distributor housing. Here's how to do it yourself:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post288473

Feb 10, 2010, 12:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    If the Check Engine Light comes on for two seconds and then goes out, when the ignition switch is turned to ON (Position II), then I would replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

If the problem persists, after changing the ICM and coil, replace the distributor housing only with one made by Honda. Over 50% of new aftermarket distributors for Hondas have not worked at AMHD. It's fine to install an aftermarket ICM and coil in the Honda distributor housing. Here's how to do it yourself:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post288473
    Thanks for the advise. I tested for spark and only got spark on 2 of the spark plugs. The proceeded to check the distributor cap and rotor. Lo and behold there was a bunch of crust built up on the contact points in the distrubutor. I cleaned them off, reinstalled the distributor cap and the car fired right up with spark on all 4 plugs... Thanks for all the help!! Hope that this may help someone as well...
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2010, 01:23 PM

You might find this of interest:

Distributor cap, rotor--Replace every 60,000 miles. I prefer BWD distributor caps and rotors. Besides coming with a lifetime warranty, BWD distributor caps have brass contacts inside, which don't corrode and erode as fast as the aluminum contacts on Honda distributor caps.

Feb 10, 2010, 03:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    You might find this of interest:

Distributor cap, rotor--Replace every 60,000 miles. I prefer BWD distributor caps and rotors. Besides coming with a lifetime warranty, BWD distributor caps have brass contacts inside, which don't corrode and erode as fast as the aluminum contacts on Honda distributor caps.
    Thanks for the advise. I'll be sure to get one of these new caps... thx again!!
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2010, 03:18 PM

When you install the new distributor cap, coat the O-ring with silicone grease, if you have some. At least make sure the O-ring is properly installed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1998 honda accord don't start [ 161 Answers ]

I have a 1998 honda accord that don't won't to start all the time.   I have read that other honda owners are having this problem.  I have had a mechanic to look at the car and of course the car starts with him my husband is trying to figure this out.  I think I am going to contact the main Honda...

1998 Honda Accord will not start [ 2 Answers ]

1998 Honda Accord seems dead. It will not start or even turnover. This has happened before but then after awhile it would start

1998 honda accord won't start [ 1 Answers ]

My 1998 honda accord will not start when it is really hot outside,but it will when its cool outside can anybody tell me why?

1998 Honda Accord Ex will not start sometimes [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 1998 Honda Accord Ex and it does not want to start all of the time . I went out of town and I had it towed away to a garage and they put a new fuel pump in it and it still does not want to start. I took it into the dealer and told them too look at the main relay since everyone is having...

1998 honda accord won't start. [ 0 Answers ]

I need some help. My car ran out of gas two weeks ago and hasn't started since. I put more gas in the tank and when I tried to fire it up it wouldn't start. I thought that it might be the fuel system, e.g. fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors, but after running some simple diagnostics, decided to...

View more questions Search