Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bbbbbbbb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2010, 12:47 PM
    Do I pay tax on a condo that was put in my name before my father died and later sold?
    My father's condo was put in my name before he died. After his death, it was sold. Do I claim this as an inherited property? What do I claim this as on my taxes and how much will I have to pay?
    larrykueneman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2010, 01:00 PM

If the condo was put in your name it became your transferred property even if the transfer of ownership was not included in your father's will. Therefore, you are obligated to pay taxes on that property where such taxes apply. You say it was sold. If it was not you who sold it, you need to see a lawyer. If you sold it all relevant taxes apply to you.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 5, 2010, 01:04 PM

If it was put in your name before your father's death, then he gave the condo to you as a gift - you did not receive it s an inheritance. When it sold you made a gain if the sales price was greater than your cost basis. For gifts, usually your cost basis is the same as it was for the person who gave you the gift - so you will need to find out what your father's cost basis for the condo was. However, there are exceptions - for example if the fair market value of the condo when he gave it to you was less than his basis then you use that number. You then calculate your capital gain (if any) and report the gain on schedule D.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I pay off my condo and give it back to the bank. I want out. [ 2 Answers ]

I have quite a dilemma on my hands. I have a condo I bought years ago. I was renting it out but there have been too many problems. The whole condo complex is nearly abandoned and all the value is gone. Tenents keep moving out because the water keeps getting turned off due to no one paying the...

Can I put a lien on ex husbands condo for failure of payment on vechiles [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if I could put a lien on my ex husbands condo due to failure of making payments on vechiles that were in our divorce degree signed by a judge in the state of Florida? Because he already stop making payments on one, and now I am being sued by the company, but they also have decided...

We recently sold our business and have to pay a large tax bill. [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any way to get a loan for paying our taxes (50,000.00) Other wise we have to use our home equity which I hesitate to do . I don't want to combine the house with the business... What is the smartest thing to do?

What do I pay in taxes on land sold that was given to me after both parents died? [ 5 Answers ]

Both parents are deceased. Property was left to the four of us Mom died 9 years ago. We just sold last year. What taxes do I pay?

Do I pay tax on inherited property sold? [ 7 Answers ]

My brothers and I (4 of us) each inherited equal portions of my mother's house when she died. We sold the house shortly after the estate was settled and each of us received ~ 18,000 (there was no mortgage). Now, I am aware that any gain is taxed as long term no matter how long we owned it, since it...

View more questions Search