Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fndandy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2010, 03:39 PM
    Electrical nfpa 70 sizing of ac equipment wire and breaker size
    Ac equipment. Minimum circuit ampacity is 18 amps max is 40. What size wire and what size breaker?
    bolen electric Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2010, 10:41 PM
    You get in trouble with inspectors and the manufacturer by exceeding the nameplate max.
    You could use #10 on a 30 amp breaker unless it's a "long" run from panel.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2010, 06:22 AM
    Air conditioning equipment is sized according to Article 440 of the NEC, and this can be a very confusing Article to understand.

Don is incorrect, branch circuit sizing is not 1.25 of the nameplate rating of 40 amps.

Sizing of branch circuit conductor and circuit breaker for air conditioning or refrigeration equipment has been made less complicated by requiring manufacturers apply certain information on the nameplate to help electricians wire the unit properly.

I refer to Section 440.4 (B) of the NEC.

The two important ratings found on the nameplate is:

Minimum Branch Circuit Conductor
    Maximum Overcurrent Protection Device, (or Fuse, or Inverse Time Circuit Breaker)

Fndandy listed the MCA of 18 amps.

I suspect the nameplate is being read or understood incorrectly, and that the 40 is the max rating of OCPD.

Therefore, this unit may have a #12 copper conductor as a feeder connected to a 40 Amp circuit breaker.

You may use the #10 as suggested, however the 30 amp breaker may not allow the unit to start reliably each time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wire size for 80 amp breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a 80 amp sub panel and need to know the size of the wire from the main to sub

Wire size wire & circuit breaker do I need for a 15.8 range [ 2 Answers ]

What size circuit breaker & wire size do I need rfor a 15.8 raqnge ?

What wire size, and breaker rating do I need. [ 21 Answers ]

I am looking to add power to my out building. It is 100/120ft from the main service box. The service box is a 200a service, and the total of the breaker installed is 230. There are plenty of extra slots for breakers to be added. I am wanting to run 2circuits to the building. #1 will operate 2...

Electrical wire size [ 1 Answers ]

Can I hook up a 200 amp breaker box having #4 electrical wire.

Wire and Breaker size [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing a steam generator for a steam shower. The unit draws 38 amps. I need a GFCI breaker. The run is 35 feet. What size wire and breaker do I need?

View more questions Search