Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bsebright Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2010, 10:03 AM
    How to depreciate home improvements
    We had new siding put on our house in 2008. I run a daycare out of my home. How do I depreciate the cost of the new siding?
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Feb 4, 2010, 11:59 AM

Where are you? If in Canada, I would not recommend it. You could possibly end up paying capital gains when you sell the house if you've been dpreciating part of it for a business.

Its probably better to have the daycare pay yourself rent to use the house, and then write-off a portion of utilities, taxes, insurance, and interest against the rent. If you limit it to operating expenses and not capital expenses then you don't affect taxes when you sell the house

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home improvements [ 3 Answers ]

I am a widow, living on disability of $690.00 per month,and my old trailor is falling down around me. How do I get a grant to get it fixed?

Can a overseas GS worker depreciate his home in the States [ 1 Answers ]

I am a U. S. Federal Empoyee that is stationed overseas, and I receive a non-taxable housing allowance for the place I am renting while overseas. However, I have a home in Virginia that is unoccupied and due to the homeowner rules cannot be used as rental property. Under these circumstances may I...

Can a overseas GS worker depreciate his home in the States [ 1 Answers ]

I am a U. S. Federal Empoyee that is stationed overseas, and I receive a non-taxable housing allowance for the place I am renting while overseas. However, I have a home in Virginia that is unoccupied and due to the homeowner rules cannot be used as rental property. Under these circumstances may I...

Home improvements [ 2 Answers ]

I need help to find a grant on improving my home for a handicapped person who lives in my home?

Manufactored Home Improvements [ 1 Answers ]

I searched this whole site for the answer, but surprisingly it doesn't look like it's ever been asked. My father-in-law bought an older Mobile Home and is giving it an almost complete overhaul. He asked me for my "input/ideas" for the best way to run wiring between the ceiling and the outside of...

View more questions Search