Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ELLIOTSUE Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2006, 12:18 AM
    Bad message and Explore can not be accessed
    Help please,
    I have two problems. First when I boot up I get the message ---

“IBM00001.exe (or one of its components)
    Make sure the path + filename are correct and that all
    Required libraries are avaliable”

I know that this was a trojan I deleted, but I still get this message.
    How do I get rid of the message?
    I am running WIN98.

Problem two, My computer constantly locks up when I try to access EXPLORE (file manager),
    I right click on START button, Left click on EXPLORE, nothing happens.
    When I can get in to START-RUN , I run SFC (system file checker) sometimes it works but it takes a long time. I have cleaned up everything I can think of to make sure I have enough space on my hard driv to run.

Thanks for any help you can give
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 21, 2006, 07:23 AM
    How much RAM do you have? How big a hard drive and how much of it is free? Have you defragged and run SCANDISK?

Nov 21, 2006, 09:19 AM
    Under Systems properties – general tab I have 384.0MB ram
    And under Performance tab, memory is 63% free
    Running WIN98SE

Under DRIVE SPACE3 shows I have 783.0MB free and 1.28 GB used, What I don't understand is I thought I had an 8GB hard drive. Where can I find how big it actually is?

Yes I have run SCAN DISK and DEFRAG I do these tasks often.

Nov 21, 2006, 09:51 AM
    Do you have more than one drive? The partition you looked at is 2G. Your drive may ber 8G and divided into other partitions. This might be because your BIOS doesn't support Large Block Addressing so can only create max 2G partitions.

SFC shouldn't take that long. But one thing I would try is to Boot to A command pronmpt and type SCANREG /FIX

Nov 21, 2006, 10:20 PM
    I ran scanreg /fix, and at 85% a message came on stating the following---

Found error in your system files and was unable to fix the problem.
    Try deleting some files to free up disk space on your windows drive,
    If that doesn't work then you will need to install windows to a new directory.

This message scares me; I'm still not sure what to do.
    I'm going to look for more files and or programs to delete
    I have only one hard drive and it is not partitioned

Any more suggestions?

Nov 22, 2006, 06:21 AM
    If you have an 8G physical drive but only a 2G C: Drive, then it IS partitioned. Its partioned into one drive. With the remaining space unpartitioned.

Boot to a command prompt and run FDISK. You can use the option to viw partition info to see if you have unpartitioned space. If you do, select the option to create an Extended DOS partition. If asked to enable LBA, select Yes. Then create an extended DOS partition for the remaining space. You will probably be asked if you want to create logical drives out of the Extended DOS partition. Do that. If you can make one drive for the remaining space, do so, otherwise you may have to create multiple 2G partitions.

After the partitions are created, you will need to format them. You can do this from the command prompt by typing Format d: (where d is the drive letter. Do NOT format C:). Once you have formatted partitions, you can uninstall all your programs then reinstall on a partition. Also move all your data files to a partition. This should free up enough space on C to run SFC.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad luck, bad karma, or bad self-esteem? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently heard once again a comment I've heard many, MANY times over the past several years: "You and your husband have worse luck than anyone else I know!" and I have one question: "Why is that?" You see, just about the time we get to the point we can manage to keep up on all our monthly...

Can not access EXPLORE (file manager) in WIN98SE [ 3 Answers ]

Can not access EXPLORE (file manager) in WIN98SE When I click on MY COMPUTER or right click on START BUTTON and left click on EXPLORE my computer locks up. Before I went on vacation I shut the computer down, and when I came back Everything was working (I THINK) except the ability to get into...

Message [ 12 Answers ]

I am quite often getting pop-up saying this system has preformed an illegal operation and will shut down. And it does. Anyone know how to fix this problem? It's a windows 98:eek:

Internet Explore Links Not Working [ 1 Answers ]

I am having problems with my IE. When I click on a link that requires a new window to be opened, it will not open. It will only show the toolbars and the outline of the window. I have removed a pop-up blocker that was installed a while back and have uninstalled my Google toolbar. I even...

View more questions Search