Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amberwild88 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2010, 12:15 PM
    I'm married to a us citizen but didn't file green card what can I do
    I was married with us citizen since 2006 but we got separated on 2007cuz of domestic violence which I dropped the case. There's no divorce. I have work permit on 2006 but I tried to renew it it got denied. I have a lawyer working on my case but she me that's why I don't know what's my real status right now. I want to apply for adjustment of status or green card.Is it possible that if I hire another lawyer she can dig up my immigration case and see where I am on my status?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2010, 12:32 PM
    You might have to do that (hire another lawyer)... It will help to know where your case actually is rather than just try to reapply, If you become illegal you may have to complete this from your country of origin. Just because you married an American doesn't automatically make you eligible for a green card. That is a common misconception that has caused many people much grief.

It took my wife three years to get one after we were married ( I was married overseas)... and she was never in violation of her status here a single day.. Cost a lot of money, repeated applications, and a lot of time... AND still took political connections to get it through the system. (thats been many, many years, and I seriously believe very few in the INS actually know their jobs as a result, but that's just my opinion)
    amberwild88 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2010, 03:28 PM
    Seriously I'm totally lost right now.Hiring a new lawyer will be hard as I don't really have a normal job to pay for the expenses. Do u know any public immigration lawyers I can go to and help me figure out my case?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jan 30, 2010, 12:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amberwild88 View Post
    i was married with us citizen since 2006 but we got separated on 2007cuz of domestic violence which i dropped the case. theres no divorce. i have work permit on 2006 but i tried to renew it it got denied. i have a lawyer working on my case but she me thats why i dont know whats my real status right now. I want to apply for adjustment of status or green card.Is it possible that if i hire another lawyer she can dig up my immigration case and see where i am on my status?
    Actually you were qualified to file as victim of domestic violence, but statue limitation for this case is 2 years and now you have exceeded that. You are already out of status.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 4, 2010, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cpulb View Post
    lawanwadee do you have a contact? I would like to ask you something.
    If you have a question, please start a new thread with your question. The rules of this site are to post questions and answers publicly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F-1 Married with Green Card,How To file Tax [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I am on Student Visa f-1 Currently.I came in aug 06.I get married in 2006 Sept.Me and my wife file the 2007 tax return jointly I was not aware that I have to submitt an affidavit to file Tax Jointly.This Year I come to know about that so I will file an affidavit with my return.No I have some...

Citizen married 01/07 to former H1-B, now Green Card holder. 1040? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi – really straightforward question from a newbie. I am a US citizen (born here). Got married in 01/07 (our first anniversary is Sunday!). My husband was a H1-B holder at the time of our marriage. He had been in the US for 9 years (grad school + 5+ years of an H1-B). Never left the country. ...

How do you see if someone had a legal green card before they married a us citizen? [ 1 Answers ]

My sister (who is now deceased) married someone from Colombia in 1993. He paid her $2500.00 to marry him so he could get his green card. How do you find out if he actually had a valid green card before marriage or if he got it after the marriage?

Urgent: Married citizen and apply green card, H1-B status [ 3 Answers ]

HI, Thanks for your attention. I just married a citizen recently and my H1-B visa will expired at the end of Sept 2008. While I'm applying the green card, do I need to renew my H1-B visa? Do you know can I still continue to work with my company? Also, for the form I-864 affidavit of support...

H1-B holder married citizen which form require for green card [ 1 Answers ]

I am a H1-B holder and married US citizen 2 years ago. Which forms should be submitted to USCIS.GOV to get Green card? I-130, I-485, I-864, I-765, G-325A and I-751 Is this correct?

View more questions Search