Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2010, 06:38 PM
    Mandatory health insurance
    With 48 states requiring auto insurance, why is mandatory health insurance catching so much flak? Thoughts?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2010, 06:40 PM

Last time I looked 50 states required mandatory insurance.

You should have posted this in the current events category.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2010, 06:45 PM

The OP is right, only 48 states (and Wash DC) require auto insurance...

This thread was moved to a discussion forum.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2010, 03:22 AM
    Because there is a big difference between the 2 insurances.Mandatory medical insurance is requiring one to insure themselves . Auto insurance requires one to insure for the damage one does to someone else. The part of auto insurance that covers oneself is optional.

The other big difference is that there is nothing that compels one to drive a car.
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2010, 04:39 AM

Thanks for the input Tom
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2010, 05:05 AM
    No problem ;I'm sure there are others on this board who have opposing views . The reason the issue of mandatory medical insurance is raised is because the government would like to compel the insurance companies to cover everyone regardless of their condition. The insurance companies correctly argue that to do that they need healthy customers to offset the expenses... or prohibitively raise fees.

Since many of the "uninsured " are the young and healthy people who have calculated the risk of not having medical insurance doesn't justify the cost of obtaining it; and they have better use for the money ,the money of these young and healthy adults are not available to offset the costs of bringing into the pool the people who are ill they would be required to add.

Therefore the only way to bring these young and healthy adults would be to compel them to pay for insurance.

It really is the same rational behind the so called Social Security Insurance. The young people who are starting in life ,trying to provide for their families are required to shell out of their paychecks funds to provide (inadequately ) for the retirement of the generation before them . In return there is a vague promise that when they are retirement age the money from the yonger population will provide for them . This is nothing more than a wealth transfer and a ponzi scheme .

If you look at the long term prospectus of both Social Security and Medicare (the current government run health care system) you see that both are underfunded for future "entitlement" liabilities.
    That is the real reason why the government wants more people in the government run pool. They need to tap into greater resources to pay for the systems they have concocted .
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2010, 05:40 AM

Tom, I have an opposing view, I hope to hear from different view points.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2010, 05:50 AM
    Here's another view: every other developed country has universal health care except the US. The US politicians seem to be more concerned about the health of the insurance companies versus the health of the people in their country.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2010, 05:53 AM

My 82 Toyota pickup has some pre-existing conditions, suppose I could get Farmers Insurance to cover the damage?
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2010, 06:02 AM

speechlesstx, do you really compare a truck to humans? Tom, what is civilization if the young and healthy don't care for the sick and old, We would be no different than animals.
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2010, 06:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Here's another view: every other developed country has universal health care except the US. The US politicians seem to be more concerned about the health of the insurance companies versus the health of the people in their country.

Thanks NK
    Why do we think we know the best way over the rest of the world?
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2010, 06:12 AM

parttime, I wasn't the one that started this by comparing mandatory health insurance with mandatory car insurance now was I?
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2010, 06:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by parttime View Post
    thanks NK
    Why do we think we know the best way over the rest of the world?
    Your politicians (I'm Canadian) are protecting the interests of the corporations that line their pockets.
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2010, 06:13 AM
    Tom, what is civilization if the young and healthy don't care for the sick and old, We would be no different than animals.
    Interesting question. I agree but am vehemently opposed to the government compelling me the be charitable. Where is the virtue in my giving if I am forced to do so ?

Throughout history humans answered your question by providing intergenerational care for their families . There was no government compulsion to do so.

So if now it takes a government mandate to compel us to take care of our parents what does it say about our evolution ? Perhaps we really are no different than animals.
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2010, 06:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    parttime, I wasn't the one that started this by comparing mandatory health insurance with mandatory car insurance now was I?

Touche' (spelling?)
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2010, 06:21 AM
    It's weird the mindthink that occurs, people in universal healthcare countries view their taxation for healthcare as contributing to their own plan, not to others, because that's exactly what it is.
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2010, 06:27 AM

If it's only a matter of insuring myself I have coverage for myself and my family already. But it isn't really about that is it ?
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2010, 06:28 AM
    You're one of the lucky ones. Have a gander at the Health and Wellness forums on this site. Maybe you can help there.
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2010, 06:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Interesting question. I agree but am vehemently opposed to the government compelling me the be charitable. Where is the virtue in my giving if I am forced to do so ?

Throughout history humans answered your question by providing intergenerational care for their families . There was no government compulsion to do so.

So if now it takes a government mandate to compel us to take care of our parents what does it say about our evolution ? Perhaps we really are no different than animals.
    Tom you know, what ancient man did for there sick and old, carry food and water, shelter, defense right to burying the remains. They in essences did what ever it takes, maybe it's the time that health care is what it takes? Do we stand like man of old and do what is necessary or do we continue to slide the other way?
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2010, 06:39 AM
    You're one of the lucky ones. Have a gander at the Health and Wellness forums on this site. Maybe you can help there.
    The vast majority of the American people are also the lucky ones . What is being discussed is a fundamental reorganization of a large percent of the American economy into a controlled economy to satisfy the ones who fall through the nannystate gaps.
    Those who lament that the so called reform is stalled have no one to blame but the Democrats over-reach. Had they proposed common sense modest tweeking of the system that also addressed some of the concerns of the minority party they could've done something useful .

Instead ,what they continue to insist upon is a system the United States people reject.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Health insurance for diabetic, otherwise in good health [ 5 Answers ]

Next month, I will be landing in Texas as a new immigrant on my Green Card (female aged 55 years - not working). I have diabetese which is well controlled bu insulin and am otherwise in good health. Which companies would provide me a health insurance cover, even if they put a waiting period for the...

No health insurance [ 1 Answers ]

How do I go about getting medical care that would involve maybe a MRI if I have no insurance and cannot afford such care?

Views on mandatory health insurance [ 27 Answers ]

Does anyone have any views on mandatory health insurance? It seems to be a pretty big topic among possible presidential candidates? I was interested in people's views on this. It seems like a good idea. But, some people are saying it is unconstitutional because the constitution( or maybe it was...

Health Insurance [ 1 Answers ]

Which insurance company offers health insurance for seniors more than 67 years?

Health insurance [ 7 Answers ]

Some of you may already know that I've been looking for affordable health insurance for my family. I have a few questions. What are these companies that I'm calling that look up different quotes for you and say that they will be your agent to deal with the insurance company? Do you have to...

View more questions Search