Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2010, 10:00 AM
    First time dog owner needs suggestions
    Hello all! I pick up my first puppy this week. She is a month old Siberian Husky with blue eyes - just adorable. At any rate I was hoping for some advice on training her and raising her. Anything you could give me would be helpful. I have done a lot of research on huskies in general - love to run, highly intelligent animals etc.

I realize this is going to be a challenge as this breed isn't as easily trainable as labs, golden retrievers and other household favorites. Thanks in advance for all your help and comments. I am looking forward to this exciting and challenging task. :)
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2010, 10:02 AM

Hey kc,congrats on the new arrival.

I just wondered about her age? 4 weeks is very young to be away from the mother.
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2010, 10:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed35 View Post
    hey kc,congrats on the new arrival.

i just wondered about her age? 4 weeks is very young to be away from the mother.
    Thanks! I am buzzing with excitement. She got her first round of shots today. She was born on the 14th of Dec, so I guess she is a bit older than a month, but I am just kind of clueless on how to raise a puppy. My roommate helped raise on when he was in college (his roommate bought one), so he will be a huge help. Should I take her to a vet in the next week or so after I pick her up? I just feel lost here.
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2010, 10:11 AM
    Its no harm to get her checked out with a vet,most pups need to be treated for worms and they will be able to advice you on when she needs her shots.

Find out what kind of food she is eating,so you can adjust her to the food you might be feeding her,or stick to the same.

The first few nights are hard for a pup,in the past I have used a clock,a warm blanket and a soft toy (check for eyes and tags that may be chewed off,remove first)

The sooner she knows to pee and poo outside the better,take her out often and lots of praise.

When you call her,as she is running towards you call her name,she'll get used to it and know you mean her.

Alty and shaz are your main women for this kind of stuff.

As regards crateing etc,you need the women in the know.

Can I ask what you called her?
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2010, 10:13 AM

I named her Macy - it is sort of a name after a football player I am a fan of. Thanks again for your help! I need all I can get. Do you let the pup sleep with you the first couple of nights, or do you immediately crate it?
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2010, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kctiger View Post
    I named her Macy - it is sort of a name after a football player I am a fan of. Thanks again for your help! I need all I can get. Do you let the pup sleep with you the first couple of nights, or do you immediately crate it?
    We actually got a jack russel pup on Sunday,he spend last night in the kitchen,clock,blanket,a warm hot water bottle and a soft toy,he slept for most of the night,I got up 3 times to take him outside.

I guess the think to remember is she won't be small for long,do you want to sleep with a big husky beside you?

She will learn what's acceptable from you,where in the house she can go and where not to.

Its hard not to take them into bed when there young and crying,but it's a hard habit to break them from.

Love the name you gave her.

We picked frankie.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jan 25, 2010, 10:22 AM

Typically the pups shouldn't be removed from the 'pack' until they are at least 8 weeks of age. Most states and provinces it is illegal to sell a pup less then 8 weeks of age.
    So I can offer some advice on pups who leave the home too early.
    They almost always end up with aggression issues, either towards humans or other dogs, they almost always have socialization issues, meaning that they become very hard to train and do not understand the pack leader mantality, they almost always think they are the pack leader, which feeds the aggression. Let me tell you from first hand experience a properly socialized puppy is well adjusted and makes a good companion. It is neither frightened by nor aggressive towards anyone or anything it would normally meet in day to day living. An un-socialized dog is untrustworthy and an unwanted liability. They often become fear-biters. Often they like to fight with other dogs. They are difficult to train and are generally unpleasant to be around. Unsocialized dogs cannot adapt to new situations and a simple routine visit to the vet is a nightmare not only for the dog itself, but for everyone involved.
    So... if you have the option, wait until they are 8 weeks of age or older.
    If you are going to get the puppy anyway... make sure you crate train from the beginning, this will help with potty training. Take you pup to puppy classes, and start socializing ASAP. And make sure you get the pups vet reccords, if they can not supply these, chances are they have not had their routine checkups or vaccines. Check out your local library for some helpful books, try to stick with the most uup to date, as dog training has come along way in the past 10 years. Ask you vet about good reading material they can recommend, as well as OBEDIENCE classes. Get him enrolled as soon as he turns 8 weeks. But please start puppy socialization classes as soon as you get him.
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2010, 10:34 AM

How long should I crate train? Also there are now some grass training pads that apparently help the puppy learn to utilize grass for the bathroom (made for indoor use). I guess they smell like fresh cut grass... I was told to always give positive reinforcement when I notice the puppy doing something right, especially like going to the bathroom outside. What other things should I do in order to help potty train better - and have you heard about these grass pads and their ability to work?

The socialization classes are a good idea, thanks! We also have a younger female lab who is a sweetheart, so hopefully some of her good habits will rub off on the pup.
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2010, 10:39 AM

Ijust wanted to add,to puppy proof the house,loose wires,low tables,etc.

Give her chew toys,and be firm when you tell her 'no' to chewing the furniture,shoes,chairs,tables, doors,toes etc!
    Dogs Expert

Jan 25, 2010, 10:46 AM

You should probably always use the crate, is it the safest place for pups and dogs while you are not home. If you feel comfortable blocking off a small area while you are away than that's a good idea as well. You will need to crate train right up until she gets the idea of using the potty out doors. My dog is 5 and still needs to be crated while I am away. But I have a 10 year old who learned very quickly to not mess in the house. This will also help with teething and chewing. Make sure to get losts of Nyla bones, kongs, and puppy toys, as well as those water bottles that go in the cage for dogs. Remember she WILL have accidents in her cage at first, Her bladder is very small, and she has little to no control over it at this age. What size cage will you bestarting with? I have never used those grass things, personally I think it's a bit gimmiky, but hey, if it helps them learn their job faster, then by all means try it out. I was never one for letting my dogs use the potty in doors anyway, I always steerd clear of puppy pads and the likes. It's easier if they learn to go out side from the very beginning instead of doing it in 2 separate steps.
    Positive reinforcement will be your best bet, especially since you want to be extra careful your new pup isn't fearful of you or others. When you take your dog outside it doesn't hurt to do a little but of extra excercising when out there, they will be more likely to use the bathroom then. Remember she is still so young, and she will have mistakes. It's a good idea to not allow her to sleep in the same bed as you in the beginning, unless that is where you want her to always sleep. I would put the crate in your room to start and slowly move it further away until it is at it's final destination. Try not to over load her with commands, start with the basics, and work your way up. But start now, they are very receptive at a young age. And I really can't stress enugh about the puppy socialization classes!
    Good luck!
    Any pic's?
    Dogs Expert

Jan 25, 2010, 10:49 AM

To elaborate on how long to crate for, just remember house breaking is only half the battle! You still have to help prevent chewing and speration anxiety, which she may have some issues with due to leaving mom at such a young age. The crate will work wonders for that! Redhead gave some good tips with the radio left on low, toys, blankets or even a ticking clock.
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2010, 10:58 AM

I actually found an 11 week old that I may have interest in instead. She seems more appropriately socialized and such, being a little older. The more I think about getting such a young pup and the problems it may have for leaving early, the more I may change my mind to this 11 week old pup. Here is a pic of the older one:
    Attached Images

Dogs Expert

Jan 25, 2010, 11:05 AM

That is a gorgeous dog!
    I really hope you do consider getting an older pup. Where are you getting the pup from?
    Make sure to bring her in for a visit to the vet to make sure she is worm and flea free! :)
    But she is a gorgeous pup!
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jan 25, 2010, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kctiger View Post
    I actually found an 11 week old that I may have interest in instead. She seems more appropriately socialized and such, being a little older. The more I think about getting such a young pup and the problems it may have for leaving early, the more I may change my mind to this 11 week old pup. Here is a pic of the older one:
    The 11 week old is adorable. :)

Read up on the breed and her coat. Talk to other Husky owners in your area. Check out the Siberian Husky Club where you live. They will have information and tips about raising a husky in your climate.

Huskies really need for you to remember who the pack leader is. It is not the dog. She will be a great companion as long as you give her the exercise that she is going to need and you remember that training is a 24/7 job. It isn't just when you have a leash on her or in a certain area.

Beware of using the 'no' word too much. If over used it will only confuse her as to what you really want. Instead, give her words to associate things with like sit, wait, lay, down, take, give, drop, etc. Give her clear boundaries from the very beginning about where she is allowed to go and how she is allowed to act around people (jumping up on people should be discouraged from the start. Might be cute now, but in six months it won't be quite as adorable).

Give her toys that encourage her to use her brain. A bored husky is a destructive husky.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2010, 01:50 PM

Congrats kc, Huskies are beautiful dogs!

I would definitely go for the 11 week old. A month old pup is barely eating solid foods and would end up being a lot more trouble than it's worth.
    I won't give you my normal big speel but lets just say anyone who sells a 4 week old puppy to someone has rocks for brains ;)

You've been given some excellent advice already so I don't have much more to add unless you have any specific questions.

When you get your pup make sure the first thing you do is get its microchip (if it has one, if it doesn't get one!) registered to your name. Huskies are escape artists and if they get out will just run and run and run, it's what they were bred for and you want to make sure if someone picks her up they know where she belongs.
    That's worst case scenario though, if you have good fences then that shouldn't happen :)

You will also need a slicka brush, and a comb. Huskies shed coat from September to March and then March to September, but if you keep on top of the brushing (just 5 minutes a day) then it's no problem.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Jan 25, 2010, 05:00 PM

I also would definitely suggest going with the older puppy as well.

I would like to add that you may need to check any local breed laws and bans though, as well as your home insurance. Siberian Huskies may have restrictions depending on where you live.

I've owned and raised husky puppies and I would definitely suggest crate training as well. I did not use a crate for my first husky but did on my second and I can honestly say that the crate really made a difference for me in training.

Huskies also love to dig so be prepared for a yard that looks like a fall-out happened. ;)
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 25, 2010, 05:12 PM

Tigger, Go for the one in the pic. The markings are absolutely striking.

Another thing, as experienced as you are with raising puppies, the older one will be a better fit for you.

Tips on housebreaking - If you see them starting to squat or hike their leg, get them outside right then to get them used to going outside to go. Even if you pick her up after she's started, she needs to go outside every time. Accidents will happen, no big deal, but she needs to go outside every time. When she does, attention and praise and treats are the order of the day.

Get odor neutralizing cleaner on the way to pick the puppy up! Use it on every accident as quickly as possible so the puppy's scent doesn't mark a spot.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 25, 2010, 05:40 PM

KC, definitely go with the 11 week old, this dog will be more easy to train, better socialized, easier all around.

Do not buy those stupid puppy fake grass training pads, unless you want the pup to pee and poo in the house only. If you want to outdoor train (which is best) then this will only lead to confusion. Consistency and lots of praise and she'll catch on in no time at all.

Huskies are dogs that are bred to work, so keeping her busy is the best, as others have mentioned. Lots of exercise, toys that will challenge her, lots of training and time. This is not the type of dog that you can just leave to its own devices, you need to be diligent at all times.

I'm so happy for you. Know that we're all here to offer advice whenever you need it. Also, we demand pictures, lots of pictures! ;)
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2010, 07:35 AM

Thank you all again for your help. As far as crate training, should I keep her in it at night, or just when she will be alone. I was raised around huskies (had two as a child) so I always slept with them in my bed, but I didn't know if it was appropriate for pups to sleep with you - would they pee and such in the bed? What things should be in the crate at all times? Bedding, some water and chew toys?

I am going shopping either tonight or tomorrow night for pup toys, food, crate and other things. If there is anything else you can think of, let me know. I will also buy pet stain/odor spray as well and anything else I may need to help with this.

It is also widely known that these dogs are extremely intelligent and leaving them bored is leads to destruction. What kinds of toys can I buy to challenge her? It's been so long since I gone toy shopping for pups.
    Dogs Expert

Jan 26, 2010, 07:49 AM

I would start with some Nyla bones and kongs. Puppies should always have access to fresh water. Personally I think if you want your dog to sleep in your bed all the time, then it's up to you if you want her to sleep in your bed straight away. She more then likely will have a mess or two on the bed, but most dogs don't like to go where they sleep. (well at least mine don't :P) Becareful that you don't roll on her, and watch for excess blankets around her that could smother her. But if you want her to learn her bed is the crate, then that's where you need to start. She probably won't like the crate to begin with, so make sure you start training right away. Make sure you give lots of praise, and try to luer (spelling? ) her in the crate with treats, but don't close the door right away. Let her get used to the idea of being in there. Make sure to NOT use the crate as punishment. It needs to be a happy place.
    And your right on with the stuff that should always be in the crate. I don't have too much experience with Huskies, but it looks like the other posters gave some excellent advice on them. I would suggest, along with any new puppy, lots of exercise, and remember to start the training right away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

New dog owner [ 102 Answers ]

I've always had cats. I was finally convinced, after over a year of prodding and begging by my kids, to get a dog. We now have a 2.5 month old puppy. Beagle/Lab mix, with maybe some Weiner Dog mixed in. We got a good dvd about general training, but I'm wondering what your recommendations...

What was the name of the dog that snickered at things his owner did all the time? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the dogs name that snickered at things his owner did all the time ?

New Dog Owner [ 8 Answers ]

Hey I just finally got my first puppy ever today and he's already peed twice in the house and pooped once... the second time he peed in the house we had just came inside from me trying to get him to go, I am sure he will get used to it but I worry he will be one of those puppies that always goes on...

New dog owner [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know how often do young dogs of about 5 to 6 months go poop on a regular diet

Winterizing my dog-A few suggestions [ 1 Answers ]

When winter is upon us, we need to focus on the special needs of older dogs, who can be especially susceptible to the extremes of temperature and other stressful, dangerous conditions of winter. (1) Does your older dog need a sweater? How about a raincoat? Wet fur decreases your dog's ability to...

View more questions Search