Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2010, 07:49 AM

I would definitely crate of a night as a puppy.
    Mine are both quite happy in their crates, they see at as their 'den' and know its bed time when they go in there.
    I have been a bit naughty lately and let them out on the bed with us... you wouldn't think 2 small dogs could take up so much room :rolleyes:

It's up to you whether you let her sleep on the bed with you when she's older, but for now, until potty training is finished I would be crating.

Challenging toys for a husky would be kongs or other similar 'puzzle' toys. Peanut butter is a good filling.
    Squeekys are always a favourite, mine will quite happily sit there and squeek away for ages, throwing the toy around.
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2010, 07:50 AM

I would definitely crate of a night as a puppy.
    Mine are both quite happy in their crates, they see at as their 'den' and know its bed time when they go in there.
    I have been a bit naughty lately and let them out on the bed with us... you wouldn't think 2 small dogs could take up so much room :rolleyes:

It's up to you whether you let her sleep on the bed with you when she's older, but for now, until potty training is finished I would be crating.

Challenging toys for a husky would be kongs or other similar 'puzzle' toys. Peanut butter is a good filling.
    Squeekys are always a favourite, mine will quite happily sit there and squeek away for ages, throwing the toy around.
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2010, 08:07 AM

I think I will try and crate her at night, but maybe keep the crate in my room so she doesn't feel lonely. Good idea for now? As Red suggested, maybe put some soft light music on for her, a warm blanket and water... just make her relaxed and comfortable.

Also what kinds of treats could I give her as a positive reinforcement tool? I assume chewy treats, that way when I see her use the bathroom outside I can give one to her?

Does anyone have any general tips on acting like the alpha pack leader? I should walk through doors before her, eat before feeding her, make sure I end up with the toy and not her... that kind of thing. (This is all research I have looked up). Has anyone done this and does it work?

Another stupid question: When will she be old enough to get spayed? She can't get pregnant now can she?

Note: Sorry for all the questions, but you guys are the experts here and I just want to soak up as much info as possible.

It is also a good idea to take her outside once she eats, right? That way she can do her business and earn praise immediately?
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2010, 08:26 AM

I have my dogs crates in the bedroom with us.
    That way if they cry I can give them a grumpy "uh-uh" or "no" and they usually quiet down.
    Putting a blanket over the crate helps too, makes them feel more secure.

Being the alpha can take time, what you have said is great. Obedience training is another great way to establish yourself as leader. It gets the dog to listen to you and focus on what you are telling them to do.

I don't spay until 6 months old. It can be done earlier but there are more risks with a young puppy.
    They don't usually come in season (heat) until after 6 months (larger breeds come in later)

As soon as she wakes up and right after she eats or drinks is the best time to rush her outside to potty.
    When training I take mine out every hour (unless they are sleeping) just to make sure there are no accidents inside, and praise like heck when they go outside.

For rewards I use beef jerky... not the people kind but one made specifically for dogs (it's not salty or anything) you can buy it from pet stores or supermarkets. But really any type of food will do as long as its made for dogs... if the pup likes dry kibble then use that as treats, if she likes vegetables then use those.

I would avoid rawhide and pig products like smoked ears. They can actually form a ball in the dogs stomach after being eaten and cause blockages.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jan 26, 2010, 08:30 AM

Some people stand by the alpha pack leader,from what I have been taught it's kind of gone by the way side, the man who frased that saying was doing research on wild wolves, and in fact said it was more about the wolf pack mantality then the domesticated dog,(will seaqrch for article later tonight and post) how ever it is good to let your dog know that you are boss. One of the protocols for deference is to make your dog sit and look to you for everything. So yes, you would go through the door first, and she sits and waits for you, then she follows. She sits and waits for you to give her her food, she sits before you pet her, she sits before ANYTHING. Now this is only ONE method of training, and you may not need to go that drastic. I would suggest finding a local trainer and enrolling, and you will find something that you are comfortable with.
    For treats I buy liver and hearts, BBQ them cut them in small pieces and freeze them. I use her kibble when I am training. My dog works for her food, but that is because we are going through behaviour modification.
    Part of Positive reinforcement would be giving her a treat every time she goes out side during the potty training time.
    It's always best to spay before first heat cycle. Most dogs go through their first heat cycle between five and six months of age, and that is normally the best time to spay your dog.
    Dogs Expert

Jan 26, 2010, 08:57 AM

I found this article to be very helpful, not the one I was looking for, but non the less makes some ggod points.
    Dr. C.W. Meisterfeld - Professional Canine Psychotherapist

Don't be thrown off by the cheesieness of the web page. It really has some good info on it! :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 26, 2010, 09:21 AM

KC, I found this a while ago and I sure wish that I had found it when we first got Chewy, maybe then the crate training would have been less stressful.

It's a dog toy but it heat up and makes a heartbeat sound. This can really help calm a pup down. Remember that she's used to sleeping with her mom and her litter mates, to all of a sudden be alone can be very scary for a young pup. This is a great surrogate.

Puppy Toy With Heartbeat- Heartbeat Puppy Toy, Heartbeat Dog Toy, Puppy Toys, Dog Heart Beat

I have no idea if these toys are available in pet stores, but it's something I would check for when you go to buy your supplies.

Also, a puppy game cube (no, not what you're thinking ;)) is great. It's a plastic cube. You put treats or dry kibble inside. The dog has to flip the cube a certain way in order to make the kibble come out. It's a great way to challenge them and it kept our border collie (also a very smart breed) busy for hours and out of trouble while we were away.

I love the Kong. They come in different sizes so make sure you start with a smaller one then move on to a bigger one when she's full grown. You want her to be able to carry it around. You can fill up the middle with treats and she'll spend a lot of time trying to get them out. Also, the rubber is really good for a teething pup, better then your couch. ;)

I'll post more as I think about it. Our last puppy is now 1 1/2 years old so all this puppy stuff is still a bit fresh in my mind, but not enough that I can pull it out of my head without thinking about it first, especially on only one cup of coffee. :)
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jan 26, 2010, 09:27 AM

KC, I will say this about the pup sleeping in bed with you (if you still think it might be an okay idea): you are a young male and you will have relationships, do you want your happy husky kicking your human playmate out of bed? Best not to let her get into any habits that might cause issues later when she is full grown.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 26, 2010, 11:21 AM

I don't put water in the crate. You can't tell if the pup kicked the bowl or had an accident. Either way the bedding gets wet and uncomfortable. This is not what you want her to think about the crate.

A dish on the way out the door or in a certain spot is the way we have water available. A drink, a few minutes exploration of the house, and then it's outside for a wee. When she comes back in after all the praise and play for "going" outside, she can go straight into the crate to wipe her paws if you have it placed by the back door.
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2010, 05:25 PM

With my puppy I found puppy socialization classes to be amazing, and also he went to obedience classes for a year, I must say I learned much more than he did! We learned everything from walking through the door first, eating first, which side to hold the leash on, and that your dog should not heal their whole walk they should be able to have some "free time" but they should always leave home and return home heeling.
    I talked to my vet about crate training and what not and she talked it over with me, as well as gave me some pamphlets which really helped.

As a puppy my dog was crated during the night in my room, now he sleeps in my room, if he's good on the bed(The pack leader is supposed to sleep on higher ground than the others), I now only crate him when I leave. I 100% agree with crate training, when my dog is away from home for long periods when we get home the first thing he does is open is crate door and has a nap.
    Congratulations on the new puppy! :)
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2010, 08:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    KC, I will say this about the pup sleeping in bed with you (if you still think it might be an okay idea): you are a young male and you will have relationships, do you want your happy husky kicking your human playmate out of bed? Best not to let her get into any habits that might cause issues later when she is full grown.
    Had to spread the rep, but really good point:) Our dogs are small and sleep with us, but we made that choice.:rolleyes: There is no way they would understand sleeping some where else at this point.
    Pets Expert

Jan 26, 2010, 10:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    Had to spread the rep, but really good point:) Our dogs are small and sleep with us, but we made that choice.:rolleyes: There is no way they would understand sleeping some where else at this point.
    Our dogs sleep with us too, and boy do I get a sad look when they're kicked out of the room so hubby and I can have some private time.

Cats is right though, there's nothing that spoils the moment quite like the feel of a wet tongue on your ankle when your partner is kissing your lips. ;)
    Dogs Expert

Jan 27, 2010, 06:06 AM

Yup, not to mention the butt cheek.
    :(
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 27, 2010, 09:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Yup, not to mention the butt cheek.
    :(
    Now I know this is KC's thread.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2010, 09:26 AM

Just found this thread, congrats KC, the huskie is beautiful.

Btw, I agree with Cats and crate training is great for dogs. Especially if you find out your dog has odd nightly behaviors, like night terrors or snoring. Dogs are just as happy in a crate.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2010, 08:30 PM

Im going to go out on the limb here and say that... Its not impossible to raise a 4 week old puppy. It just all depends on how much time you want to invest into a dog. If you get a 4 week old puppy, be prepared to do a lot of mothering. My rott/pit mix was 4 weeks when I got her, and she doesn't have any behavioral issues. She's very sure of herself and loves the world. I was in high school at the time, so when I left, my mom held her ALL DAY, and when I got home, I held her all night long. So its not impossible, but not ideal either.

That puppy is very stunning... She'll be awesome looking as an adult. I'm very familure with high energy breeds, huskies are one of them. The key to keeping them happy, is keeping them tired. If you do go with the 11wk old puppy, wait a couple of weeks after you get her, then sign up for classes. Stimulate her mind as much as you can. I'm not a fan of kongs, mainly because my dogs don't even look twice at them, but they do keep some dogs entertained.

Crate training is ideal! I already see that others have informed you of a crate as well.. It will probably be the best tool to house training! Think of the crate as a crib... puppy is safe there and can't get into any trouble. To help prevent separation anxiety... don't be afraid to put puppy in the crate by itself for awhile. If you don't want to deal with the puppy or you're too busy to keep an eye on her, then put her in the crate. Its going to teach the dog that you come back all the time. Don't go running to her every time she cries while in the crate... I'm not certain, but I have a feeling that is what causes separation anxiety. You need time to yourself sometimes, and the dog needs to respect and adhere to that.

Be sure to put your pup on a good food. Wellness, Innova and Natural Balance are my choice selections... but there are so many more out there to choose from..

Be sure to socialize your pup real good. Any time you need to go someplace that is a quick "in and out", take your puppy. They learn how to behave in public and how to accept strangers. Be sure to not put your puppy on the ground at any time... Your puppy may be vaccinated, but the parvo virus is mutating *at least in my area* and puppies that have had all 3 shots are becoming parvo positive. Parvo can take your pup within hours... The vet work has improved, but its just not worth the risk.. A lot of parvo survivors have long term issues.

Try not to leave puppy home alone too much. When she gets older, I'd highly recommend enrolling in doggie daycare at least once a week. It keeps your dog socialized, and breaks up the dogs routine. You'll have a happier dog in the long run :)

Oh... and Huskies are extremely smart... You just have to be one step ahead of them at all times... Most working dogs that were bred to work close with humans are EXTREMELY intelligent and can accomplish anything you put in front of them.
    Pets Expert

Jan 27, 2010, 08:42 PM

Im going to go out on the limb here and say that... Its not impossible to raise a 4 week old puppy. It just all depends on how much time you want to invest into a dog.
    It's not impossible, but in most states it is illegal for a "breeder" to sell a 4 week old puppy. I use the term breeder loosely because I don't know one legitimate breeder that would even think about selling a puppy that young.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2010, 09:06 PM

Yes it is illegal here in Colorado... I got Kaia from a guy who was giving away puppies because the mom had mastitis... Instead of treating mama, they got rid of the puppies. Kaia was the runt... I felt bad for her. So I took her.

As we left, the "breeder" mentioned they wanted me create that mix again (rot and pit)... Made me sad.

I've called animal control on many "box" puppies for being sold at such a young age. Its funny how over half the people I have come across who sell their 4 week old puppies as "at least 7 weeks" are always being sold on Sunday. I think those particular people know how the system works. I feel bad for those pups that are heading into this world that were bought as an impulse.
    Pets Expert

Jan 27, 2010, 09:18 PM

The worst part is that the majority of people that end up buying the 4 week old puppy don't have a clue how to properly care for a dog that young. Most of them end up dying, others are always sickly and maladjusted, those that are lucky are few and far between.

My husband works with a guy that told me he never gets a puppy over 5 weeks old because he stupidly thinks that a younger puppy means that it will imprint on him and make it more loyal. These aren't geese, they're puppies!

I got so mad that I almost hit him. My husband actually had to restrain me because no matter how many facts I gave this guy he just sat there with a smug face "I've had dogs all my life, you can't tell me what to do". My response "I've had hair all my life, doesn't make me a hairdresser any more then it makes you an expert on dogs you dumba$$!"

Worst part, his wife works at Petsmart, a pet store that claims never to sell puppies, only rescue dogs, yet they had a litter of 5 week old puppies there not more then a few months ago.

I need a large parcel of land, a shovel and a good lawyer! ;)
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 28, 2010, 04:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    I need a large parcel of land, a shovel and a good lawyer! ;)
    Get a backhoe, they have heaters for wintertime.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

New dog owner [ 102 Answers ]

I've always had cats. I was finally convinced, after over a year of prodding and begging by my kids, to get a dog. We now have a 2.5 month old puppy. Beagle/Lab mix, with maybe some Weiner Dog mixed in. We got a good dvd about general training, but I'm wondering what your recommendations...

What was the name of the dog that snickered at things his owner did all the time? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the dogs name that snickered at things his owner did all the time ?

New Dog Owner [ 8 Answers ]

Hey I just finally got my first puppy ever today and he's already peed twice in the house and pooped once... the second time he peed in the house we had just came inside from me trying to get him to go, I am sure he will get used to it but I worry he will be one of those puppies that always goes on...

New dog owner [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know how often do young dogs of about 5 to 6 months go poop on a regular diet

Winterizing my dog-A few suggestions [ 1 Answers ]

When winter is upon us, we need to focus on the special needs of older dogs, who can be especially susceptible to the extremes of temperature and other stressful, dangerous conditions of winter. (1) Does your older dog need a sweater? How about a raincoat? Wet fur decreases your dog's ability to...

View more questions Search