Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gjoh277308 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2006, 10:28 AM
    Hep C
    I have a cousin that has Hepititus C and the meds they are giving him make him get mean so he is just going to give up. He is in LA. Is there any help for him?
    DrWood Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Nov 22, 2006, 08:01 PM
    Gjoh,

This is a complicated question.

Your cousin must make their decisions regarding their health, including the decision to refuse treatment. Your cousin can do that as long as they are competent and as long as he understands options he has and the consequences of his decision.

To make wise decisions he must have all the information he needs. I think he needs to find out whether the medication is the thing that is making him feel mean or if it is something else. Could it be that he is unhappy, depressed or anxious about his illness, is there something else he is taking which could be resposible. I am not aware of Hep C medication causing mood swings. He also must decide if the benefit of the medication outweighs the adverse effects.

Having said all that if he chooses to stop the medication the that's his choice. Is there still help for him?

Of course.

There is no cure for hepatitis C so any medication he is on now is designed to reduce the risk of him developing complications such as cirrohsis, liver failure and hepatocellular carcinoma. There is no reason to think that while he is not on this medication though it can be helpful, that he won't live a long and happy life.

There are things that he can do, that he should be doing now, to help him be healthy with or without his medication. Including avoiding any alcohol, ilicit drugs, avoiding obesity and controlling and avoiding haemochromotosis.

I hope you and you cousin can help each other with your problems.

DrWood.
    sumrall Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2007, 12:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gjoh277308
    I have a cousin that has Hepititus C and the meds they are giving him make him get mean so he is just going to give up. He is in LA. Is there any help for him?
    He can take pain pills they help some I'm on my 5th month of shots

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hep B [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if I would have anything to worry about if I was working with someone that has been confermed with Hep B? Also if some one was to work at there desk is there any chance of getting them getting Hep B? Or is there something that we have to do to clean the desk before the sub gets to...

View more questions Search