Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    21470 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2010, 05:19 AM
    PVC vs ABS which makes less noise when water is running through it
    Iam trying to find out which pipe makes less noise when water is running through it PVC or ABS pipe.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 25, 2010, 06:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21470 View Post
    Iam trying to find out which pipe makes less noise when water is running through it PVC or ABS pipe.
    If you're asking which drainage makes the less noise that would be cast iron. We stopped using ABS in my area back in the 70's but plastic pipes will give you the most noise. Does that answer your question? Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 25, 2010, 06:47 AM

Hi...

PVC and ABS are both plastic pipes and both make about the same amount of noise when waste water is running through the pipes. Although, my gut feeling is that ABS is slightly noisier as it is a more brittle plastic.

The choice of waste piping material for noise reduction will be to install No-hub cast iron pipe.

On some of our higher end jobs we will install no-hub cast iron pipes on the vertical and transition to plastic piping on the horizontal piping. You can imagine in some circumstances where a pipe drops through a dining room, for example, where it would be advantageous to have noise from waste pipes reduced to the max.!

Back to you...

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air Conditionig makes grinding noise after running for a few hours. [ 3 Answers ]

Last summer my a/c started making this grinding noise when it would run for a few hours. After talking with some HVAC people, they suggested I use a less-dense filter in my furnace (I had been using 3M Filtrete). I switched filters and didn't have a problem any more (it was near the end of the...

Oven makes high pitch noise while running [ 1 Answers ]

We recently moved into a new home. Every time I've used the oven, it makes a very high pitch noise from the time you turn it on until the time you turn it off. Everything on the stove works perfectly--it just makes this loud, often annoying noise that keeps us from wanting to use our eat-in...

Heating unit indoors makes screeching noise while running [ 5 Answers ]

Hi We have a gas heating unit. The heating unit is making loud screeching noise while running. (The unit is 7 years old). What may be the problem ? We had a service guy in to check it out and he says that the motor needs to be replaced and he is quoting $470 including $80 for labour and remaining...

Water Heater makes noise [ 1 Answers ]

I have a State Select 50 gal. direct vent, gas water heater, model # PR650NBRT. It was installed when the house was built in 2002. It supplies two bathrooms and is located in the attic directly above both of them. Whenever one of the showers is in use a loud "growling" noise comes from the water...

View more questions Search