Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HeadStrongBoy Posts: 351, Reputation: -4

Jan 20, 2010, 01:58 AM
    May 21, 2011 and the use of numbers to convey meaning in the Bible
    Family Stations, Inc and other copycat organizations are promoting May 21, 2011 as the day of the "Rapture." I am looking for additional resources on the internet that specifically address Bible verification of the above timeline of history. Opinion and the doctrines of particular denominations do NOT interest me at all. I would like to see a scholarly and impartial approach to the Bible. Particularly in regard to the topic of the day of jugdment.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2010, 11:49 PM

HeadStrongBoy,
    I think you have asked a very difficult to answer question except for those who believe in biblical numerology.
    I am one of the many who believe that biblical numerology balderdash.
    But I am interested is seeing any answers that you may get.
    As far as the rapture taking place on the date you mentioned is concerned I'm sure that the day will come and go just as the very many such past predictions have.
    Good luck.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 26, 2010, 02:41 PM

From a fairly quick Google search it seems that basically all sites spouting this are related to FamilyRadio.com and EmbeddedWorks.com. I don't think you'll find anything from traditional main-line denominations about this. Their timeline of history seems to be unique - placing the creation at around 13,000 years ago and Noah's flood at precisely 4,990 BC.
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2010, 09:55 PM

ebaines,
    Thanks for that information.
    Fred
    Maggie 3 Posts: 262, Reputation: 41

Jan 29, 2010, 10:52 AM
    I would not believe anyone who says when the world will end. Look up in your bible Matt. 24:35, 36 and you will read no one knows when this will happen except the Father.
    One of the big things going around today about the end of the world is the date dec 21, 2012. This is when the mayan calendar runs out.
    This is contrary to the word of the Lord and what is written in the bible.
    The main thing to be concerned about is our relationship with God and where we stand with Him. The end could be in the next 5 minutes . We are not promised any length of time in this life. Make sure you are right with God now by accepting Jesus as your savior. This way you will be ready to meet Him when he comes. Be concerned about your relationship with Jesus and not worry about predictions that people make.

Maggie 3
    Expert

Jan 29, 2010, 11:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggie 3 View Post
    One of the big things going around today about the end of the world is the date dec 21, 2012. This is when the mayan calendar runs out.
    Actually, the idea that the Mayan calendar "runs out" is incorrect, despite the popular misunderstanding. The Mayans weren't that dumb. But in today's society where "end of the world" myths are hugely popular this sort of mis-information gains traction, and so now even main-stream media talks about the "end" of the Mayan calendar being in 2012.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Jan 29, 2010, 03:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Actually, the idea that the Mayan calendar "runs out" is incorrect, despite the popular misunderstanding. The Mayans weren't that dumb. But in today's society where "end of the world" myths are hugely popular this sort of mis-information gains traction, and so now even main-stream media talks about the "end" of the Mayan calendar being in 2012.
    Hi ebaines,

Is there an explanation as to how this misunderstanding managed to come about?
    Expert

Jan 29, 2010, 03:39 PM

There was an excellent article about this in "Sky and Telescope" a couple of months back, coincident with the release of the movie "2012." See: SkyandTelescope.com - Press Releases - The Great 2012 Scare — and What You Need To Know In a nutshell - it talks about how some guy back in the 1980's first put this idea forward, and since then there have been several more that have built on the idea and thrown in additional misinformation about planetary alignments and the sun "eclipsing" the center of the galaxy (all of which is incorrect). The article describes in detail how the Mayan calendar actually worked. In essence it used 394 year cycles, and it's one of those cycles that ends in 2012. That will be the 13th in the series of cycles. Some people claim that the Mayan calendar "ends" with this 13th cycle, but there's scant evidence for that. In fact, there are versions of Mayan calendars in carvings that go well past the 13th cycles, and allusions in Mayan lore about events that will occur in the year 4772. So it doesn't seem at all like the Mayans "predicted" anything about the end of times. So why does this stuff grab the public's imagination? Who knows. We've had plenty of doomsday predictions in the past (there was a popular book in the 80's called "Doomsday 1999"), yet people keep coming up with this stuff.
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2010, 11:22 PM

Maggie 3,
    That was very good advice.
    Thanks.
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Symbolic meaning of the numbers 222 and 444 and 1313 [ 11 Answers ]

I keep seeing the numbers 222 lately. For example, I would look at the clock and it would be 222, and then a few days later, the same thing would happen. Before that I kept noticing 444 and previous to that the number 1313 kept showing up around me. Does anyone know the symbolic meaning of these...

2011 purchases [ 1 Answers ]

Financial Statements of ABC Corp. indicates that ending inventory levels in 2010 and 2011 were $200,000 and $350,000 respectively. Net Sales for 2010 and 2011 were $5,000,000 and $5,500,000 respectively. Cost of Goods sold for 2010 and 2011 were $1,900,000 and $2,200,000 respectively. Purchases...

Bible passage meaning [ 6 Answers ]

What is the meaning of Matthew 23:1-12? I know it' wording is fairly simplistic but how can I convey it's meaning for us today as a reflection in a contemporary worship service?

Finding a meaning for bible passage (luke 4 verses 18-19) [ 36 Answers ]

I have to find out the meaning of the bible passage Luke 4 verses 18-19 this is it “The Lord's Spirit has come to me, because he has chosen me to tell the good news to the poor. The Lord has sent me to announce freedom for prisoners, to give sight to the blind, to free everyone who suffers,...

Do numbers that I see have a hidden meaning? [ 4 Answers ]

Okay well, my lucky numbers have always been 3 and 7.. and I was also born on 3/7. also, me and my ex's anniversary is on the 22nd. 22 is also a good number.. duce duce.. so now that's my 3rd lucky number.. well here is the thing I am always seeing the numbers 7 and 22 together.. this all may seem...

View more questions Search