Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brecksville Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2010, 09:33 PM
    Why do I hear a drip in my walls downstairs when I flush the upstairs toilet
    I moved into a 20 yr. old house about 1-1/2 yrs. Ago and I have an issue that is driving me crazy. Every time a toilet is flushed or the shower is running in one bathroom (hot and cold) upstairs I hear a rush of water in my wall on the main floor and in the basement followed by a dripping sound that stops about 1 minute after the water is done draining. I don't have any evidence of a leak and it doesn't occur when the sinks are running or with the other two bathrooms upstairs. Please comment. Thank you.
    Carol from Ohio
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 20, 2010, 08:42 AM
    Hello Brecksville,
    What you hear is waste water rushing down the drain pipe from your upstairs bathroom. This drain pipe is installed inside your (most likely) 2"x 4"wall. If that pipe is ABS or PVC than the noise is even more audible than if the pipe is Cast Iron. It is common problem with houses with bathrooms on the 2nd story. The drip sound you hear is just water slowly emptying from the pipe.

To eliminate this kind of problem, we always use Cast Iron pipe during construction and drop it down through 2"x 6" wall. Then, we pack wall insulation around the pipe to muff the sound. If we have the luxury of a chase than we run our waste lines through the chase. Chase usually has more space and accepts several layers of insulation muffing the unwanted sounds in the process.

Sorry to say, but at this point, there is really nothing you can do do about it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My tub and sink faucet drip when I flush my toilet. [ 2 Answers ]

My tub and sink faucet drip when I flush my toilet. Also have sewer smell in the house and have heard a gurgle from the tub when flushing... not always though. Drain in the sink is slow... using Draino as we speak... but the problem has been around longer than the slow drain. Does this sound like a...

Downstairs toilet overflows when upstairs shower on? [ 5 Answers ]

We have a bi-level home. After my shower today I went downstairs and heard water in the bathroom and realized the toilet overflowed. Never use this bathroom so I new it couldn't have suddenly been the toilet. My husband realized the toilet is overflowing when the shower is on upstairs. What...

Flush toilet upstairs overflow in toilet downstairs [ 3 Answers ]

We have a toilet in the basement which has never been used in our five years in the home. Yesterday, there was toilet water everywhere. When I flush upstairs, the water in the downstairs toilet rushes up. Is this related to a blocked stack pipe? Just guessing.

Tub (upstairs) won't drain after replacing downstairs toilet. [ 5 Answers ]

I have one full bath upstairs and a half bath downstairs. When I took a shower this morning, the tub drained just fine... (quickly even). Late this afternoon I raplaced the downstairs toilet. This evening my kids took a bath and when they were done the tub drained very, very slow... extremely...

Water drip after faucet turned off or toilet flush in floor [ 1 Answers ]

I have noticed that when I turn off my faucet or flush toilet, a dripping sound can be heard in the floor of my second floor bathroom. Is this a normal occurrence or should I be concerned? I have not seen any water marks in the ceiling below.

View more questions Search