Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VeteranJock Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2006, 09:06 PM
    Can I add a tenant in the middle of a lease?
    A couple I rented to has separated and they were not married. She moved out, he stayed. He then asks me to add his "new" girlfriend to the lease. I have her sign a sheet that states she is entitled to all rules/regulations in the actual lease. Is she a valid tenant even though the other girl was never taken off the lease/ This means now there are three people on the lease. Thank you
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 18, 2006, 09:08 PM
    Just cross out one name and add the other. Or add an addendum, replacing one with the other.
    VeteranJock Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2006, 09:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Just cross out one name and add the other. Or add an addendum, replacing one with the other.
    WILL KY LAW ALLOW THIS??
    jgrammes Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2006, 09:53 PM
    Once the other tenant physically leaves the premises, and is making no claim to have the right to enter, and as long as you and the tenant who is staying, you may delete her from the lease. Techinically, that lease should be terminated, and a new lease signed. You can still end the lease when the original was scheduled to terminate, or just attached an addendum to the existing replacing the old with the new. It might be a good idea to have the old tenant sign off that she claims no right of entry to the premise. By doing so, she also is release of all financial responsibility.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 18, 2006, 11:33 PM
    Yes, you need to write and sign a new lease
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 19, 2006, 08:34 AM
    As long as the parties initial the changes, then there should be no problem in making the changes as I suggested.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord wants to break tenant lease [ 5 Answers ]

I need to move back into a condo that I have leased. The lease expires in September 2007. I can not wait that long to make my move. Can I legally break that lease?

Breaking lease in Texas-Did not sign lease [ 2 Answers ]

I have shared a house for 15 months with two other roomates. There is a 2 year lease on the house. My name is on the lease with the other two roomates, BUT I did NOT sign the lease. I want to move out because I can no longer stand living with these two roomates. Am I free and clear to leave...

Leasing Tenant evicting another Tenant [ 1 Answers ]

What is required by the court in the state of Michigan for a listed Tenant to Evict a non listed Tenant on a lease/land contract when the non listed Tenant pays the monthly rent, and all utilities are in non listed tenants name at the residents and both have been a resident from day one and the...

Caught in the middle [ 30 Answers ]

I have a friend who is a single mother of 3. She is a wonderful lady, super mom, and loving friend. However, she is extremely hung up on one of my husband's friends. My husband's friend James just got out of a rather rocky marriage, and is not really into having a relationship. However, a couple...

Tenant Claims Lease Is Not Valid [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am managing only one property in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma for a friend of the family and today one of the tenants told me over the phone the lease is not valid because I am not a real estate professional. (1) Is this tenant's statement invalid and (2) can I have the tenants evicted for...

View more questions Search