Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tomba2009 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2010, 10:22 PM
    Tax return for l1 visa holder
    Hi

I'm a L1 visa holder, I live in the US since mid Aug. this is the first time that I'm filling up the forms for the tax return.
    1)I'm under 183 days in the US can I claim a "closer connection"? I'm not planning on leaving soon so at some point I will be here over 183 days. Will it "hurt" me in the future if I claim "closer connection"?
    2) what forms should I fill?

Any other advice that you think will benefit me plase share

Thanks

Tom
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 17, 2010, 11:29 PM
    Closer Connection is NOT an issue for 2009as you have NOT met the Substantial Presence Test for 2009, so you file as a nonresident alien, filing Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ.

For successive years, closer connection is NOT an option for someone on a L visa.

Jan 18, 2010, 12:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    Closer Connection is NOT an issue for 2009as you have NOT met the Substantial Presence Test for 2009, so you file as a nonresident alien, filing Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ.

For successive years, closer connection is NOT an option for someone on a L visa.
    First of all, thanks for taking the time and answering me, so if understand it right, closer connection is for someone over 183 days?
    Next year I should pay taxes as a resident alien?
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 19, 2010, 09:44 AM
    Closer connection is an issue for someone on a J-1 or Fo1 visa who has exceeded the statutory limit for their exemption from the Substantial Presence Test (five years for F-1 and J-1 students and two years for J-1 trainees),

Holders of L-1 and H-1 visas cannot claim closer connection, because they are NEVER exempt from the Substantial Presence Test.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 20, 2010, 05:59 AM

Tomba2009:
    For 2009, if you are married, you can file nonresident tax return or dual status return after you complete SPT in 2010. There in no advantage in filing dual status return, so choice left is nonresident return.
    2. If you are married, you can file nonresident return or joint return as residents after you complete SPT in 2010.

Jan 20, 2010, 12:34 PM
    Thanks Guys for your answers,
    I'm not married so I will file as suggested as a nonresident forms 1040nr or 1040NR-EZ
    vikky267 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2010, 11:20 AM
    Hey,

I came to US in End of August and I qualify for non resident return. I have to fill 104NR form, but what will be the tax refund? At present I have Federal,Medicare,SSN and New Jersey State law deduction. I'm geeting above 60K,

So how much will be the refund and where can I file for Non Resident tax return?

Thanks
    Vivek
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 27, 2010, 12:16 PM
    Vivek:

Assuming you are under a H or L visa, you may or may not file as a non-resident alien.

The linchpin question is your marital: ARE YOU MARRIED?

If not, you will file as a non-resident alien, probably filing Form 1040NR-EZ and claiming NO standard deduction, but you will be able to deduct the state and local income taxes withheld from your salary as an itemized deduction.

The Form 1040NR-EZ MUST be mailed; electronic filing is NOT possible. You will mail it to the address listed in the form instructions, which is in Austin, Texas.

The amount of your refund depends on how much was withheld for federal income tax, a figure you did NOT share with us.
    vikky267 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2010, 12:30 PM
    Hi,

I am an IT consultant from India (Single) currently on L1 visa and I came to US in 20th Aug, 2010. I also came to US in 2008 for 90 days (Business Visa/No Tax/Paid By India).Adding all this I still don't complete 183 days in US and hence fall in non resident category.
    At present I am earning around 60K and I have following tax deductions on my salary:
    I) Federal Tax
    ii) SSN Tax
    iii) Medicare Tax
    iv) State Unemployment Tax
    v) New Jersey State Tax
    vi) NJ Leave Insurance
    vii) Disability Tax NJ

If I file for Non Resident Tax return, what all taxes I will be reimbursed?
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 27, 2010, 12:38 PM
    Because you are single, you WILL file as a non-resident alien, probably filing Form 1040NR-EZ.

I answered which taxes are partially refundable and which are not on the other posting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

L-1 visa holder tax return [ 1 Answers ]

Hi experts, I am a L-1 visa holder who entered the US on May 2009. I am going to leave the country at the end of Dec 2009 as my post was made redundant. My questions are: - What was my status for the last months for tax purpose? Is it non-resident alien? - Which forms should I fill in order to...

L1 visa holder-Filing Tax Return for individual [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am working in US since 15'th SEP 2007 on L1 visa. I will be filing my tax returns for the first time this year. I will be staying in US till 16'th MAR 2008. When I landed here I had to fill-u W2 tax declaration form & hand it over to my employer. I filled it with total coming to "3"....

Tax return form for H1 and H4 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I am a H1B visa holder, came to US in January, 2006. I am married and I have two children, one is born in US and another one in Bangladesh. My wife and one child have H4 visa (dependent visa). I have social security number but they don't have SSC/TIN. Is there anybody can tell me how...

Tax Return for H3b Visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine is currently working in th U.S on a H-3B visa. She has been advised that she can only claim back $602 of the $2335,62 in Federal Tax that she has paid in over the last year... is this possible ?

View more questions Search