Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maria2day Posts: 94, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2010, 02:02 AM
    Slow laptop
    I have a fairly new laptop. (couple months old).It is running really slow. It is 1.6Ghz,
    3GH RAM. Whatever that means. I don't know much about computers, but it seems like Ive used up way more space than I should have in only 3 months. 44 G used 95G free space. And that is AFTER I ran disk clean up. Also, I keep having an issue with it not responding. Task manager says 100% cpu. Any thoughts?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jan 15, 2010, 03:12 AM

1) Click on START > ACCESSORIES > SYSTEM RESTORE
    2) Do a System Restore back as far as you can go on your laptop

If that doesn't improve performance...
    3) Make sure you don't have more than 1 AntiVirus package on your computer.

4) Use your laptop's RECOVERY CONSOLE to restore your computer back to the day you bought, a factory restore.
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2010, 07:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBeaucaire View Post
    4) Use your laptop's RECOVERY CONSOLE to restore your computer back to the day you bought, a factory restore.
    Before you go that far backup everything important. If you haven't already done that, it should be the first thing done right now. Especially since you are having issues with the computer.

And if you don't want to go through recovery, I would make sure to run some virus and spyware scans. Do you have any kind of protection currently?

Jan 18, 2010, 09:32 PM

I currently have McAffee, and I also use Advanced System Care. You're talking to a rookie. How do I back up my files?
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Jan 18, 2010, 09:39 PM

Did you run a virus scan with mcaffe? If you haven't you should do so. I also recommend downloading CCleaner. It's similar to using disk clean up. It might help your computer run a little faster.

Jan 19, 2010, 11:50 AM

I have run a virus scan... no virus. And Advanced System Care checked and cleaned the disk. Does it sound right that that I would have used 45G in only 3 months? I don't have any really big programs on it. Where did it all go?

Jan 19, 2010, 11:51 AM
    Forgot to mention, Im running Vista

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I reboot my laptop because I have forgot my password to sign in to my laptop [ 3 Answers ]

How do I reboot my laptop beacause I have forgot my password to sign in to my laptop

Slow turn braking. Pedal Vibrates and Truck does not slow [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I have a 98 Ford Expedition. My ABS brake sometimes comes on... When going in a slow turn, my pedal sometimes shakes and does not brake. I usually have to pump the pedal to get it to brake. What is this? Thanks for your advice in advance.

Forced Air Furnace flame good, fan goes slow then fast then slow, etc [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a forced air propane furnace in a "Park Model" rv trailer. (This is a bit smaller than a mobile home) The furnace is used infrequently as the trailer is located in a sumer resort vacation area, however we do like to go up a couple of times in the winter months. Furnace was...

Slow laptop [ 1 Answers ]

My laptop is very slow .How can I bring to its normal speed

Laptop screen repair? Useful life of a laptop? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an IBM Thinkpad X40. Have had it for 3 years Spilt liquid on the screen a while ago and now, although the screen works still, it has a kind of mottled tidemark effect and is dark in places (can also see where drops of water are permanently "stuck" behind the screen). Is this fixable?...

View more questions Search