Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Username63 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2006, 06:48 PM
    Legal question
    If a bail restriction imposed on an accused individual has been discovered to have been violated AFTER the accused has been discharged with a sentence of probation, can the accused still be charged with that violation even though the violated restriction is no longer in place? Example... if the restriction is to have no contact with a certain individual... and it's discovered after sentencing, that that individual is now pregnant with the accuseds child, can the accused be charged? This is in Canada, in case it makes any difference.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2006, 10:04 PM
    Let me ask you this.

Where is the proof that the accused had contact with this woman?

Yes, her being pregnant is a sign, but maybe she impregnated herself with the accused sperm thro a mutual friend.

I know, a bit of a reach, but still.

It would probably depend on the type of case and why the accused was ordered to stay away from the woman.

Most likely they won't come after the accused, but then, the question is why was there the restriction in the first place? Because then maybe they will.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2006, 03:40 PM
    I would think not. Here in the U.S. double jeopardy would prevent the re-opening or re-filing of any charges. Furthermore, it's not likely that anyone would be concerned with a violation of a condition of bail after the fact. Depending on the timelines involved, you may be able to argue that the pregnancy in question occurred before the bail restriction was imposed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal question [ 4 Answers ]

I'm writing on behalf of a co-worker. Apparently, just over three years ago, she paid a parking lot fee with a personal check. However, the check bounced. She assumes she was given a notice by the bank, but assumed that the bank cover the six dollars as part of her over draft fee. Any way,...

View more questions Search