Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    colorandbritt Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2006, 05:32 PM
    Refrigerator will not cool
    I have a 4 year old Maytag side-by-side Refrigerator and initially the fridge stopped cooling. Unfortunately an unethical repair man noted that the defrost timer was faulty and I paid him for the repair. He will not honor his warranty and I'm trying to recoup the funds that I paid via small claims court. A week later the same issue resurfaced but now the freezer no longer freezes! Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Nov 17, 2006, 05:54 PM
    Check the following:
    Make sure the evaporator fan (inside fan) is working, then check to make sure the condenser fan (under the fridge) is working.
    While you are checking, clean all of the dust off the condenser, these are the black coils that are under/behind your fridge.

When you checked the evaporator fan, was the evaporator covered in ice? If so, then it will need to be thawed (defrosted). The evaporator can freeze for any number of reasons, the three most common are: a) dirty/blocked condenser coil, b) faulty defrost timer/element, and c) low on refrigerant.

Is the compressor running? If so, then double check all of the above, if everything checks good then you might be low on refrigerant, this is outside the realm of the average do it yourselfer, and a repair man will need to be called.

If the compressor is not running, we must determing why. Is your thermostat set to high? If not then check to make sure voltage is traveling through the thermostat.
    I will admit, that this is a whole lot easier on commercial coolers and freezers than residential ones.
    It could be stuck in a defrost.
    Many things to check for. These are the most basic.
    colorandbritt Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2006, 09:38 PM
    Thanks a bunch. I will definitely follow your suggestions ASAP!
    Robie1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2013, 03:54 PM
    How do you check a GE model GSH25KGMC BB is stuck in defrost. Neither side cools/freezes. Evaporator fan appears to be working; fan at bottom back of frig appears to be working

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help me cool my upstairs [ 5 Answers ]

I just got a brand new 88,000 BTU heat/AC unit on my house. My downstairs is very cool but my upstairs (which has a vaulted ceiling) is very hot. I have one floor vent in my bedroom and all the vents in the upstairs are open. I have heard of a fan or blower that you can put into the floor vent...

HELP, it's not cool in here [ 1 Answers ]

Woke this morning to a half way cool home. Heard the central air conditioner shut off and all of a sudden I hear this clanging noise from the furnace. HELP:eek:

Cool Optical Illusions [ 3 Answers ]

Of course the old favorites are cool, but this one is TOO COOL!: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/castle-illusion.html (this is one you have to stare at for 30 seconds... and I promise nothing will jump out at you) Anyone got a link to some cool new ones other than the ones that have been around for...

Really Cool Freeware [ 1 Answers ]

Installing Love Tech Support: Yes,. how can I help you? Customer: Well, after much consideration, I've decided to install Love. Can you guide me through the process? Tech Support: Yes. I can help you. Are you ready to proceed? Customer: Well, I'm not very technical, but I...

View more questions Search