Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bondi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2010, 07:28 PM
    How hot should a combined light fan switch be, my two switches are 45 C
    In both toilets the light switch activates the ceiling fans and both switch are hot to touch, infrared gun reads 45 to 47 Deg C.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 12, 2010, 07:52 PM

116 dgrees f is a bit on the hot side so I'd check to see the watts pulled by both fixtures and the rating on the switch, not all switches can carry the same watts. If the switch is good for say 1000 watts and the two fixtures are under that then you have an issue. Either the fixtures are failing and pulling too much juice or the switch is going. Todetermine which is failing is going to require testers not many home owners have, just replace the switch, cheap, see if that fixes the issue of heat. I assume that these switches are not dimmers, right.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing a three-way switches with a pilot light switch to [ 13 Answers ]

I bought a Leviton 3 way switch with pilot light to replace one of the two - three way switches for my basement lights. I am stumped about what I have to add to the wiring to make this work properly. It shows "traveler" wires between two pilot light switches in the diagram that came with it. ...

Trying to wire ceiling fan switch and 2-3way light switches for ceiling lht/fan combo [ 5 Answers ]

I have 1 single pole switch for fan, and 2 three way switches to run light only. The power in is by the double box that will house the fan switch and the #1 light 3way. The other box houses the other three way switch. My fan switch is turning the light on and off, the three ways are doing nothing....

Light on 3-Way Switch Won't Turn Off (Change Switches Already) [ 4 Answers ]

To summarize, I have a light on a 3 way switch that will not go off via the switches. I replaced both switches with new 3 way switches and the light still won't go off. We have a hall light that has one switch upstairs and one switch downstairs. The light won't go off so I changed the switches...

Ceiling Fan single switch/Light two 3-way switches [ 1 Answers ]

How do I wire... Ceiling Fan with Light switched separately. Light to be controlled by two 3-way switches and fan controlled by a separate single switch. :confused:

View more questions Search