Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    up424days's Avatar
    up424days Posts: 5, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #1

    Nov 16, 2006, 07:55 PM
    Help me
    Lately it seems I've become a lot more emotional unstable... I tend to get angry quick and its usually little things that do it. Then I cry because I'm so angry and guilty and confused. I take a lot of things out on my boyfriend and he just doesn't understand why I feel like this. I don't even understand it a lot of times. And wats really hard now that my problem is affecting our relationship. And I'm so afraid that were going to break up because of me. I wish I know how to fix myself. I've been taking 20mg lexapro, at first I noticed a difference but not now. I've tried to explain how I feel what my depression and everything makes me feel like, but its just so hard. Sometimes I'm afraid of what I might do to myself when I'm angry.
    doggie_poopie's Avatar
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19
    Full Member
     
    #2

    Nov 16, 2006, 09:54 PM
    Talk to your doctor. It is not uncommon to have to try several different meds before finding the one that works long term. Also, do you see a counslor? That's a must. Drugs alone won't work!
    ANyway, I tried several before finding Zoloft. Samething for my one son. We tried A LOT! Some didn't work, some have too many side effects, and some didn't work after a little while. Don't give up and keep trying. Have you said to your boyfriend what you posted? I would. I am sure he will appreciate the honesty and you letting him know.
    Good Luck!
    pumibel's Avatar
    pumibel Posts: 84, Reputation: 16
    Junior Member
     
    #3

    Nov 17, 2006, 07:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by doggie_poopie
    Talk to your doctor. It is not uncommon to have to try several different meds before finding the one that works long term. Also, do you see a counslor? That's a must. Drugs alone won't work!
    ANyway, I tried several before finding Zoloft. Samething for my one son. We tried A LOT! Some didn't work, some have too many side effects, and some didn't work after a little while. Don't give up and keep trying. Have you said to your boyfriend what you posted? I would. I am sure he will appreciate the honesty and you letting him know.
    Good Luck!
    I'll back this one up! I had to try a few before I found one that worked, and then it took some more trial and error to find out I was actually bi-polar, so more trial and error to find the mood stabilizer . After starting meds you may need to increase dosage regularly, too.
    It sounds like a pain, but it sure beats feeling the way you do now.

    Your boyfriend may be blaming himself, so do confide in him. If he can be part of the recovery, it may bring you closer.

    Good luck
    dbek's Avatar
    dbek Posts: 74, Reputation: 4
    Junior Member
     
    #4

    Nov 17, 2006, 11:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by up424days
    lately it seems ive become alot more emotional unstable... i tend to get angry quick and its usually little things that do it. then i cry becuz im so angry and guilty and confused. i take alot of things out on my boyfriend and he just doesnt understand y i feel like this. i dont even understand it alot of times. and wats really hard now that my problem is affecting our relationship. and im so afraid that were gonna break up becuz of me. i wish i know how to fix myself. ive been takin 20mg lexapro, at first i noticed a difference but not now. ive tried to explain how i feel wat my depression and everything makes me feel like, but its just so hard. sometimes im afraid of wat i might do to myself when im angry.
    Sounds like you need to go back to your doctor and they will either have to change your medication or increase them. Also-should get some counseling to help you express your feelings better.
    DAVE231's Avatar
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9
    Junior Member
     
    #5

    Nov 19, 2006, 04:09 PM
    When both of my parents and my younger brother died within a couple of years, I became deeply depressed. My doctor prescribed an anti-depressant and told me to talk to a psychologist that he knew who specialized in depression.I did not want to take any drugs at first, but was persuaded to try something when my mental state did not improve. After trying everything on the market to ease the saddness, I found one that worked like magic for me. I'm talking about three years of trying drugs with side effects that I didn't like or short term benefits from something that I did not want to take. I was determined to find a way to solve this problem because I was tired of dwelling on things that depressed me. Drugs can help with serious depression, but you have to be sure you have a problem that won't go away without treatment. There is a stigma associated with taking drugs for this condition, but if you find the right one which makes you feel normal again, what else matters? Good luck and God Bless! You are NOT alone.
    jurplesman's Avatar
    jurplesman Posts: 83, Reputation: 7
    -
     
    #6

    Nov 19, 2006, 05:42 PM
    Unexplainable mood swings and anger outbursts for no apparent reasons sometime can have a simple solution.

    Please complete the Nutrition Behavior Inventory Test (NBI) .

    If you score high it is likely that you have a hypoglycemic condition. That explains your behaviour.

    This can also be tested with a four hour Medical Test for Hypoglycemia .

    If found to be positive going on a Hypoglycemic Diet should solve the problem.

    Please discuss with your doctor.
    J_9's Avatar
    J_9 Posts: 40,299, Reputation: 5646
    Expert
     
    #7

    Nov 19, 2006, 07:19 PM
    Yes, she should discuss this with her doctor, but please Jurp, get off your soapbox for once and realize that this could be hormonal. We don't even know her age or any stressful situations that she may be in.
    jurplesman's Avatar
    jurplesman Posts: 83, Reputation: 7
    -
     
    #8

    Nov 19, 2006, 07:39 PM
    What about YOU getting off your soap box. The connection between hypoglycemia and depression is well accepted among the more scientific therapists. It seems that you are stuck in the 20th century groove of old-fashioned psychotherapy, based on the simple psychosomatic model of psychology of the variety it's all in the mind. The world is a little bigger than that! Why do you have such antagonism to people who express opinions here that do not fit in with yours. Are you the chief censor here?

    Please read the thousands of articles what scientists are saying in the wider community at:

    Hypoglycemia and Depression

    Are they all on a soapbox?
    J_9's Avatar
    J_9 Posts: 40,299, Reputation: 5646
    Expert
     
    #9

    Nov 19, 2006, 08:00 PM
    I too have experienced what you say that you have. I too have family members who have gone through this. I too have seen suicides due to depression. Much more of it has to do with TALKING getting the feelings out in the open than it does with medicaiton or diet.

    The reason I ask you to get off your soapbox is because you never ask the history, medical or physical. You could very well be giving dangerous advice.

    Correct me if I am wrong, but is that not one of the reasons you were asked not to stop practicing your "medicine?" Several times if memory serves me correcly. But I am sure you will say it does not. I specifically remember reading a post that you gave where it was an interview with you and you admitted that you were asked to stop "treating" inmates with your "treatment", this happened at least twice.

    You need to be sure of a persons medical condition (totally) as well as any meds they are on before preaching your rhetoric. You are bordering on dangerous, as it also said in the "interview" that you posted toting your "abilities"

    I am out of the 20th century and into the 21st. You need to realise that medicine has advanced since the 1980s when this was popular.

    ***EDIT*****

    I do not understand why you cannot post any threads other than yours or a list from Google. Give specifics that have absolutley nothing to do with your hypoglycemic group in Australia. Can you quote JAMA? Pease do.
    pumibel's Avatar
    pumibel Posts: 84, Reputation: 16
    Junior Member
     
    #10

    Nov 19, 2006, 08:02 PM
    There are a lot of choices out there for people suffering from depression and mood swings, but what about people whose relationships and lives are effected now? What about those who are suicidal and can't wait to find out if they are hypoglycemic and try different diets?

    It is suspect, too, Jurp, that you are pushing your book on lots of threads- is this about financial gain? I don't doubt you are trying to help, but I followed your link and felt like it was advertising selling your book.
    J_9's Avatar
    J_9 Posts: 40,299, Reputation: 5646
    Expert
     
    #11

    Nov 19, 2006, 08:04 PM
    Pumi, his book is "free" online. But he is obsessed about his "diet" that is remeniscent of the old Susan Powter books.
    J_9's Avatar
    J_9 Posts: 40,299, Reputation: 5646
    Expert
     
    #12

    Nov 19, 2006, 08:40 PM
    Oh, yeah, that is right, I am not on a soapbox. I do not preach what I have written and only what I have written. I prefer to give info that supports what I have researched rather than my research. For some reason you cannot seem to do that any longer than one or two days, then it goes back to what YOU have researced. Again, I do remember reading that you were asked to stop "preaching" your research in a couple of "jobs" you held.

    Wereas I have never been asked to stop my research, only asked to continue and have had offers to pay for my further education.
    jurplesman's Avatar
    jurplesman Posts: 83, Reputation: 7
    -
     
    #13

    Nov 19, 2006, 09:05 PM
    Hi J_9,

    I just read your qualifications, and now I realize where you are coming from. You seem to be studying nursing, so as a nurse it would not be prudent for you to express any interest in "alternative mental health". Alternative medicine is different from conventional medicine!

    You are right I was asked by the director of Corrective Services to stop teaching Nutritional Medicine to my clients, on the instructions of the director or the ANZCP (Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists). Any nondrug therapy for mental illness appears to be a threat to the psychiatric profession, who are politically well organized and control the mental health industry. They control most of the prisons and hospitals. They are closely tied and financed by the pharmaceutical corporations. This is a political issue not one of science.

    But conventional psychiatrists are not all in agreement with conventional treatments. A recent study showed that about 40% of patients with mental illness gain SOME benefit from drug therapy and/or psychotherapy, leaving about 60% of patients with treatment resistant mental illness.

    See:

    Beyond Efficacy: The STAR*D Trial, Am J Psychiatry 163:5-7, January 2006 by Insel, TR (2006),

    This is just not good enough. People who have failed with conventional treatment tend to come to this discussion board asking questions, they really should ask their therapists. Why cannot their therapists help them? They in fact are asking for alternatives, because conventional therapy has failed them.

    If you in your nursing profession would express scientific opinion supported by scientists in the "Alternative Mental Health" community you too would not last long as a professional nurse. Most of the evidence come from:

    www.alternativementalhealth.com

    And many others.

    I have worked in the mental health industry most of my professional life, as a nurse, counsellor, drug counsellor, so I am familiar with what is going on. Please try to inform yourself on the politics of medicine and keep on open mind. Sometimes you have to have a critical look at the practice of medicine and where it is going to and why.

    Read:

    Death by Medicine by Gary Null

    I also read that you worked in the insurance industry concerning malpractice in medicine. Thus you may have some bias against what you may regard as "quackery" and be somewhat suspicious of them, if not paranoid.

    You seem to be asking for "evidence" from independent research. I wish you were just as demanding of conventional psychological treatment, which is mainly based on unsubstantiated psychological theories. But I agree science is evidenced based, and therefore we have a file called Research Evidence for Hypoglycemia, which you obviously have not read. It is a collection of quotations made by scientists.

    Then you criticize me for giving thousands of Google references on the connection between hypoglycemia and depression. How far do you want to go to feed your skepticism and your bias against modern science. What makes you think the Google references are invalid? Have you ever studied Nutritional Medicine or Nutritional Biochemistry? I have.

    Maybe you just want to state that you are not interested in "alternative mental health" and that is perfectly all right. But then don't attack people in an ad hominem fashion, whenever you don't like somebody's ideas that do not fit in with yours. I don't mind people asking genuine questions - and there are many of them - but it is somewhat tiring to shift the argument to a personal level (about the messengers instead of the messages), instead of the issues at hand. If you don't like me, tough luck. I am interested in ideas and helping people with mental illness.

    Here is some more scholarly studies that support the hypoglycemic connection:

    Studies Showing connection between Depression and Insulin Resistance

    Also read:

    Werbach,M.R.(1991), NUTRITIONAL INFLUENCES ON MENTAL ILLNESS, A Sourcebook of Clinical Research, Third Line Pres, Inc.Tarzana. Cal. full of research.

    Budd, M.L.(1981), LOW BLOOD SUGAR (HYPOGLYCEMIA), Thorsons publishers Ltd.
    Hale F,Margen S & Rabak D(1982), "Postprandial hypoglycemia and 'psychological' symptoms", BIOLOGICAL PSYCHIATRY,1982,(Jan).17.1.125-130
    Meiers,R.L.(1973), "Relative hypoglycemia in schizophrenia", in Hawkins, D. & Pauling, L.(Eds)(1973), ORTHOMOLECULAR PSYCHIATRY, W.H.Freeman & Co. San Francisco
    Plesman,J.(1984), "The behavioural aspects of hypoglycemia as tested by N.B.I.", PROBATION & PAROLE OFFICERS' ASSOC. JOURNAL, 1984, 1-23.
    Poulos,C.J. Stoddard,D. & Carron,K.(1976), ALCOHOLISM, STRESS AND HYPOGLYCEMIA, Davis Publishing;Davis Cal.
    Salzer,H.M.(1966), "Relative hypoglycemia as a cause of neuropsychiatric illness", J.NATIONAL MED.ASSOC.58-1,12-17 Jan,1966
    Samra, George(2004), THE HYPOGLYCEMIC CONNECTION II, One Step Allergies, Sydney
    Virkunen,Matti(U.of Helsinki)(1982), "Reactive hypoglycemic tendency among habitually violent offenders: etc", NEUROPSYCHOBIOLOGY,1982,(Jan-Feb)8.(1)35-40

    “An important scientific innovation rarely, makes its way by gradually winning over and converting its opponents. What does happen is that its opponents gradually die out and that the growing generation is familiar with the idea from the beginning.”

    Max Planck (1858-1947) German physicist and Nobel laureate
    jurplesman's Avatar
    jurplesman Posts: 83, Reputation: 7
    -
     
    #14

    Nov 19, 2006, 09:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pumibel
    It is suspect, too, Jurp, that you are pushing your book on lots of threads- is this about financial gain? I don't doubt you are trying to help, but I followed your link and felt like it was advertising selling your book.
    Again we have an ad hominem argument.

    If you don't like what you hear attack and demonize the messenger! I may be an evil man indeed.
    jurplesman's Avatar
    jurplesman Posts: 83, Reputation: 7
    -
     
    #15

    Nov 19, 2006, 09:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_
    But he is obsessed about his "diet" that is remeniscent of the old Susan Powter books.
    I think you are getting rather "obsessed" about me. You are using negative emotive terms that says a lot about you. I suppose you cannot help it.
    pumibel's Avatar
    pumibel Posts: 84, Reputation: 16
    Junior Member
     
    #16

    Nov 20, 2006, 09:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jurplesman
    Again we have an ad hominem argument.

    If you don't like what you hear attack and demonize the messenger!! I may be an evil man indeed.
    Not really- I wasn't attacking you- I asked a valid question. BTW- I am college educated, even if I don't post it in my signature. I don't take offense at all to your theories or try to shoot them down, but I do take offense that you assume I don't know what an an ad hominem argument is and post a link to it- I got a in that class.

    I am not adding to this any more- I am done. I really wasn't trying to pile on with my question. I was posting my response at the same time as J9, and hers got through first.
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 54,328, Reputation: 10855
    Expert
     
    #17

    Nov 20, 2006, 11:36 AM
    UP,Talking to your doctor is the best safest way to be diagnosed, and whether it is an adjustment, or a change in meds he is in the best position to tell. Please see your doctor and tell him exactly as you have told us about the problems your having.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

 

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.



View more questions Search