Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JSVass Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2010, 10:53 AM
    How much money to give my child in college
    I have a two children in college and I struggle constantly with how much to give them for spending money. With this money they have to pay for occasional meals out (they have the meal plan), gas and car upkeep, socailizing, toiletries, supplies for school and needs for dailing living. We pay tuition, meal plan, health insurance, car insurance, books and major clothes needed. They are great kids making all A's and B's in private liberal arts schools. I know they budget, but I feel like I'm cheating them if I don't give them more. I was wondering if there are any parents out there that can relate and let me know what is reasonable. We give them each $200 every two weeks. I know they buy clothes for themselves too. And recently my son went on a road trip and was able to pay for a couple of fun activities with the money. I want them to be happy. I don't think they are spoiled and I know they will be responsible adults. They've proven to be responsible kids. Is $400 ample or too much? I want to compare with others. Thank you.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2010, 10:57 AM

Hi they are college kids, they are learning to be in the real world.

Personally I think 400$ is a bit much for them.

They should get jobs and learn to support themselves.

... but that's just me.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 8, 2010, 11:07 AM

When my son went to a private Midwestern college, I gave him a credit card that both of our names were on. He used it for any upkeep expenses, and I got the bill (so I could make sure he was using the card for necessary things). For fun money, he had a job on campus. He could use that money any way he wished. If he didn't work, he couldn't play. This worked out well establishing a credit history, as well as helping him budget and being a responsible spender.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2010, 11:20 AM

My brother is currently in college. My Mom set up an account at the beginning of the year with $1,000 for his spending money/food/gas/etc. That is to last him the entire year.

If he blows it in the first couple weeks, well, he has to find a job.

He's done pretty well with the money, but he got a job! :)

They have to learn to live on a budget. I recommend doing it the way my Mom has done - give them an amount at the beginning of the year and let them budget it. $200 every other week is a lot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal age in Indiana to stop child support for a child in college [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know when I can legally stop paying support on my step son who is going to be 22 and is still in college

College Money for Nursing. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question about what I can do in a tough situation. I am having trouble getting financial aid because of a school that I took a few classes at, and then dropped from, will not release my transcript. They say now, 3 years later, that I never officially dropped the classes and I owe them...

College money [ 2 Answers ]

For a student with no credit and a parent with bad credit, what is the best way to get college paid for with out any hassels or red tape? Time is of the essence. I need proven info that is guaranteed to work. Need help right away! Thanks!!

How much money to give neighbor's son who graduated from college? [ 4 Answers ]

My next door neighbor's son and my daughter grew up together and they both just graduated from college. How much do you recommend we give?;)

Any ideas for money so I can go to college? [ 20 Answers ]

Hey I'm a freshman in college going for my bachelor in English. I'm looking to become a teacher in New York. The problem is that my school refuses to except any federal loans that aren't through the school itself. My parents haven't paid their taxes though and in turn, the school refused to give me...

View more questions Search