Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frightenedmotherinnj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2010, 06:17 AM
    Nys law terminating father's rights due to incarceration
    I apologize for the fact that I am see this question is asked frequently, but I have yet to find a similar thread that would relate mostly to my situation. I currently reside in the state of NJ, but have had past family court hearing in the state of NY from when I lived in NY with my two minor children. The father of my children is serving his second prison sentence for a violent felony. He was out of prison, and played a role in my son's life for a total of 11 months before being reincarcerated. During his time of release there was extensive physical and mental abuse towards me and my son by his father. None of this abuse, unfortunately, was documented or reported out of my own fear, pride, and stupidity. However, I do have friends and family who can witness to it. My son was 2 years old at the time of his release, and 3 at the time of his rearrest. My daughter was one month old when he was locked up. We had lost custody through CPS due to drug abuse, and neglect. I have since cleaned up my life. I gained custody back of my children a little over a year later. I have had custody since, and my children are well provided for and taken care of. I have been sober for over 5 years. Anyway, time to get to the question. This man and I were married after he was locked up, because I was still afraid of him and what his family might do to me or the children. WE have since been divorced, I was the only parent granted back custody and rights to the children. He was granted visitation as long as he provided the funds and bus tickets for the children and I to come visit him in prison, he never followed through with his end of the agreement, so the children have not seen him in approximately 4 years. They have not spoken to him in over a year, or received letters. WE have moved, and out of fear of him I have not given him or his family our new address, they do have the phone number where we are. They also have my old address where letters could easily be sent and forwarded to me.

I am afraid of this man to a point I can not even explain. I know in my heart if he finds us he will terrorize us, endanger his children, maybe even resort to murder or kidnapping or worse. Do I have any legal grounds to terminate his rights? What are my options? I can not afford a good lawyer. I now have a live in boyfriend who my children call daddy and want to be their father at the ages of 8 and 5 does that count for anything?? PLEASE some one help me... he gets out in 15 months and I fear we are running out of time and options...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 7, 2010, 06:41 AM

Your situation is not that uncommon and there are several threads that provide an answer.

As I'm sure you have read, generally courts are very reluctant to terminate parental rights. They will do so generally in two situations; to clear the way for an adoption or if the parent represents a danger to the child.

So, if you feel you can prove he is a danger, you prepare a case and bring it to the NY court that issued the original order for a TPR. I would strongly recommend contacting an attorney who can advise you of the odds of winning.

But frankly, if he's not exercising his rights, why bother. When he gets out of jail, you can then see about a TPR.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Terminating father's rights [ 1 Answers ]

How do you get a fathers rights taken away from them

Terminating the father's rights [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter is trying to get her daughter's father's right terminated. She is getting different information form family court. She hired a lawyer, who has since disconnected her phone and shut her office without returning the retainer. So I would like to help her. Who should she talk to at the...

Terminating Father's Parental Rights [ 2 Answers ]

I am the mother of an 8-year-old living in Florida. My son's biological father has made no attempts to contact me or my son for the past 6 years. The father's name is on the birth certificate, and there is no order for child support. I am currently engaged to be married and my fiancé wants to adopt...

Terminating father's parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, this is my first post here. I'm looking for info on terminating parental rights. My husband of 8 years would like to adopt my 10 yo son. His bio father has not seen or been in contact with him since he was 6 months. He has never paid support. I was going to work with a lawyer because my...

Terminating the father's rights [ 6 Answers ]

I am currently 24 weeks pregnant and the father has walked out on us and wants nothing to do with this pregnancy and is not willing to help in any way. I am having a complicated pregnancy and am unable to work probably for the duration of this pregnancy. He seems to think that once the baby comes...

View more questions Search