Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jwatch65 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2010, 09:09 AM
    Failed urine test in jan. 08 when can I drive again
    I tested positive for thc in jan. 08,when will I be able to drive truck.and is their a company that will hire me.I have 4yrs otr with clean driving record no tickets or accidents
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2010, 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jwatch65 View Post
    i tested positive for thc in jan. 08,when will i be able to drive truck.and is their a company that will hire me.i have 4yrs otr with clean driving record no tickets or accidents
    It all depends on the company. Most of them don't want their insurance to take that big of a hit by hiring a driver with a record.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2010, 08:19 AM

Hello j:

If you just failed a company test, there's no record of it. If you'd stop smoking pot for 6 weeks, your drug tests will be clean... I'd keep looking... What? You don't think you're the only pot smoking driver, do you??

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2010, 03:48 PM

Your failed drug test is reported and controlled by the DOT, not the company. This result will remain on your record with the DOT and be available to any new trucking company.

You've basically made a very expensive mistake that will effect your earnings ability and to get hired as no insurance carrier will permit you to be hired and drive for a company that they insure.

When I worked at a tanker/dry van company they had a van driver who smoked pot. He took his fully loaded dry van off the major interstate highway, rammed through a very high concrete retaining wall and just narrowly missed the kids sitting in the livingroom watching TV in their home 20' away from the retaining wall. He caused well over $150,000 worth of damage just to the tractor and the trailer. The damage to the wall and the home was on top of that. Plus he could have killed those kids on top of that as well.

It's not just your life that you endanger by using drugs, it's the other people's lives that are in danger. You are in charge of a vehicle when fully loaded weighs 80,000 lbs. This is quite a responsibility that should NOT be in the hands of someone who does drugs of any kind. That's why chances are pretty good you'll be out of work as a truck driver for sometime to come. Not just one year, but several.
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2010, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello j:

If you just failed a company test, there's no record of it. If you'd stop smoking pot for 6 weeks, your drug tests will be clean... I'd keep looking... What? You don't think you're the only pot smoking driver, do you????

excon
    I'm not going to give you a reddie on this Exie as I hate giving reddies out BUT the drug testing is done strictly by the DOT of that state and NOT the company. The company just does the paperwork and assigns the random testing each month and tells the drivers to report to a testing facility on such and such date.

I did work in the Safety Department at one trucking company and know the ins and outs of DOT and drug testing and insurance carriers.

Basically a truck driver's record is like a school record as it is permanent and follows you around. The DOT is the ultimate monitor of drug tests and they do keep records for years and years just like they do on accidents.

If the company had tested him and didn't report the adverse findings to the DOT the DOT could and would shut them down for this severe violation. But the drug testing facility also sends adverse drug findings to the DOT as well. I went through 3 different DOT audits at those 2 companies and the DOT officer went through everything and I do mean everything about the drivers, the loads, the pay, you name it even the maintenance on the individual tractors was scrutinized. And fines were written up and they were steep and were in the thousands of dollars and the companies were put on a probationary period and then reexamined 6 or 9 months later to see if they cleaned up their act or not and if they didn't they were shut down permanently.

So, as you can see a lot has to do with whether the professional drivers do drugs or alcohol as a lot hinges on the drivers's behavior.
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2010, 04:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    It all depends on the company. Most of them don't want their insurance to take that big of a hit by hiring a driver with a record.
    Sorry, This, it does not depend on the company. It depends on the company's insurance carrier and their rules and say so's if a driver with a record gets hired. When I worked in the Safety Department I would send for the driver's driving record and other documents to submit to the insurance carrier. Only after the insurance carrier gave it's okay would a driver be hired and not until under any circumstances. The company could not just having an uninsured driver driving their rigs and delivering loads as their insurance carrier would cancel them in a heartbeat. Every driver had to be preapproved by the insurance carrier, no exceptions. Tanker companies are even worse when it comes to satisfying their insurance carrier's requirements.
    aman62 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2010, 02:06 PM
    Nah, with the exception of Arkansas and maybe 2 or 3 other states, the DOT knows NOTHING about your failed test. And even in Arkansas, the DOT would only know about it if you LIVE in Arkansas. Don't let anybody fool you. When you apply for another driving job, simply don't mention the company you were working for when you failed the test. They will have NO WAY of knowing. Even if you decide to let an employer know about the failed test, you can still get hired to drive a truck but you will have to show proof that you have successfully completed a substance abuse program. That won't take no year though! However, be prepared to have to submit to a test a LOT more frequently!
    techieshelbs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2010, 06:45 PM
    How can I get a copy of all my drug test through the company

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Negative blood test and urine test! [ 11 Answers ]

Hey umm I am 3 and a half months late for my period. And I have taken several home pregnancy test and 1 blood test... all negative.during the 1st month I lost weight and now I have gained weight... just like when I was pregnant with my son. Who is almost 10 months. I've never ever been late...

1st Time Probation Violation - Failed urine test [ 6 Answers ]

I am a 1st time probationee in Travis County , Tx . I have been on probation for 4 months out of 12 for marijuana possession . I am pretty confident that I will fail this test coming up on Friday . Based on my no previous convictions ( other than traffic offences ) is it likely that my probation...

I failed my LAST urine test somehow. [ 8 Answers ]

I'm not here to make excuses but I was 11 months 28 days into my conditional discharge.. And they tell me my last test taken on December 17th I failed for marijuana. Its my first time failing out of 4 tests... and I've never had a previous record before the paraphanalia charge.. but I definitely...

Failed urine test on community corrections [ 3 Answers ]

I took a drug test for them Thursday. They said I showed positive for benzo. I have not took any drugs. I just got out of the substance abuse program in December. Was in jail for 6 months doing this program. I sure don't want to go back. I take valerian root at night to help sleep. I have read that...

View more questions Search