Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wicked Rhymer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2010, 12:11 PM
    Can a 16 year old and an 18 year old date?
    I'm asking is it OK for an 18 year old to date a 16 year old because I'll be 18 in a year, I'm a year in a half older than the girl I'm with, my birthday is in January and hers is in August.
    Triysle Posts: 245, Reputation: 84

Jan 4, 2010, 12:16 PM

Depends the state, but the age of consent in most places is 16. As long as the adult isn't too much older (2 ~ 4 years depending on the state) it's usually acceptable.

You should be ok, especially if her folks are ok with it.

~ Tee
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2010, 12:36 PM

You can date in any state.

Depending on your state, you could be in trouble if you are sexually active. In what state do you live?
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2010, 12:39 PM

There's no law against an age in dating, there is though, when it comes to physical contact or sex. It's okay to date the girl, but it would be best if you didn't touch her. Honestly, if something were to happen, even a kiss could get you in trouble.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 4, 2010, 01:06 PM

As pointed out, there are no laws regulating dating. All legal issues refer to sexual activity. The age of consent in most US states is 16, though don't take that as encouragement to have sex with her. NO ONE should engage in sexual intercourse until they are ready to have a child.

But, as long as you are not intimate with her, you should be within the law.
    Triysle Posts: 245, Reputation: 84

Jan 5, 2010, 10:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    As pointed out, there are no laws regulating dating. All legal issues refer to sexual activity. The age of consent in most US states is 16, though don't take that as encouragement to have sex with her. NO ONE should engage in sexual intercourse until they are ready to have a child.

But, as long as you are not intimate with her, you should be within the law.
    Also, since I can't rate the rest your answer again, you should not try to press your sexual beliefs on various posters here. How you became an expert while being such a closed-minded individual is beyond me, but perhaps you will take a moment to stop and consider that other people's opinions might matter just as much as your own (not more, and certainly not less).

If used properly, contraceptives are literally 99.9% effective in preventing pregnancy, and condoms are just as effective at preventing the spread of STD's. Yes, there are exceptions, but there is no reason to highlight those exceptions as if they are some kind of majority. This outdated scare-tactic approach is the very reason teen pregnancy is such an issue nowadays. Children aren't taught how to properly use contraceptives because of some moral or religious taboo.

Anyway, to the OP, my apologies if you were seeking a different answer. I hope you will take all the information presented here, including Scott's, and use it accordingly.

~ Tee
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 6, 2010, 12:56 AM
    Comments on this post Triysle agrees: I won't reddie you, because that's not who I am. But just FYI, I gave that info with good intentions trying to help the OP. And in most cases, especially at that age, couples can become sexually active.

I'm sure you did have good intentions. The problem is that you didn't answer the question asked. The question was whether it was OK to date, not whether it was legal to have sex. You answered that it depends on the state, which is inaccurate since there are no laws regulating dating. And yes I'm aware that many children that age are sexually active.

Quote Originally Posted by Triysle View Post
    Also, since I can't rate the rest your answer again, you should not try to press your sexual beliefs on various posters here. How you became an expert while being such a closed-minded individual is beyond me, but perhaps you will take a moment to stop and consider that other people's opinions might matter just as much as your own (not more, and certainly not less).
    I do not "press" my beliefs on anyone. I simply express them. As to being close minded, you clearly don't have a clue about me. I became an expert here by having a track record of giving good and accurate advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Triysle View Post
    If used properly, contraceptives are literally 99.9% effective in preventing pregnancy, and condoms are just as effective at preventing the spread of STD's. Yes, there are exceptions, but there is no reason to highlight those exceptions as if they are some kind of majority. This outdated scare-tactic approach is the very reason teen pregnancy is such an issue nowadays. Children aren't taught how to properly use contraceptives because of some moral or religious taboo.
    Where are you getting your info? I know of no contraception method that claims that level of effectiveness. The most effective methods are more in the range of 96-97%, with some methods much lower.

And I totally agree that a large cause of teen pregnancy is the lack of education. I would and have advocated that anyone engaging in sexual intercourse make sure they are aware of the facts about contraception.

To sum up, you are way offbase here. To condone or advocate teenagers having sexual intercourse is irresponsible In my opinion. You did not answer the question asked, but assumed something that should not have been assumed. The three responses after yours were right on. They answered the question AND advised that sexual contact might be an issue. You compounded your original error, by launching a personal attack against me, rather then simply accept that you made a mistake. Had you given mean a negative comment you would have been in violation of the rules governing the use of the comments feature. My giving you a reddie was valid because you answered the question incorrectly. There was nothing incorrect or inaccurate about my answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it okay for a 17 year old boy and a 14 year old girl to date? [ 20 Answers ]

I'm 14 and my boyfriend of 3 and a half years is 17, we haven't don't anything beyond kissing and we plan to keep it that way until I'm at the age of concent. I love him a lot, and he loves me too. We have talked about marriage and children, and he asked me to marry him. I said yes, but were...

Statutory rape consent in winnipeg for a 21 year old female to date a 16 year old boy [ 7 Answers ]

Im am a 16 year old boy going on 17 in a few months, I'm in a relationship with a 20 year old female, her parents and my parents agree with our relationship, can she be charged with statuatory rape?

Can a 16-year old girl date a 21-year old guy in GA? [ 4 Answers ]

I am 16 years old and I wanted to know if it was illegal for my boyfriend to be 21 years old. I know that the age of consent in Georgia is 16, but what exactly does that mean... does that mean that me and him are able to date each other?? I've read that the age gap can't be more than 4 years, so...

Is it legal for an 18 year old to date a 15 year old in Oregon? [ 5 Answers ]

So we are just under 3 years difference and my mother with full custody of me is fine with but my dad doesn't know.

View more questions Search