Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    momoya Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2010, 02:06 PM
    Should parents be consulted before photos of their children are posted online?
    I am wondering what the protocol is, if any, on posting photos of other people's minor children online. My ex's current girlfriend has posted several photos of our kids on her my space page and a friend saw them and told me about it. I ask my ex to have them removed (we have joint legal and physical custody) and the girlfriend proceeded to post many more photos. She is hostile and abusive to me and the kids. I also think it is interesting that she has several kids but has not posted their photos online. She met my ex on the internet and they host a lot of parties at our house (I still own 1/2 of the house) - the parties are advertised on an internet social networking site and attract people from the internet. They had one party while the kids were there but lately have been taking the kids to other relatives when the parties happen. The girlfriend has been married 5(!) times and has been in and out of a lot of relationships - 4 kids by 4 different men etc... ; I don't know if I am being overly protective in not wanting her to put photos of our kids on her myspace page which is available to anyone. Please advise.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 2, 2010, 02:14 PM

Mostly it's a matter of what type of pictures they are. If they violate TOS and it's a public profile then you may ask to have them removed. But if your ex is allowing it then there is really nothing you can do about it except grin and bear it. There is nothing illegal about it. Sorry but that is how the law works.

(TOS) Terms Of Service

Check that with the place where the photos are being posted and if it breaks the rules report them.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 2, 2010, 02:17 PM

There should be someplace on My Space where you can report inappropriate content. Use it to report the photos of your children being posted without your permission. Specially state YOUR permission.

The problem here is that, because you have joint legal custody, your ex can give his permission and it will probably be held up in a court of law. And, if My Space won't force her to pull the pics, that's where you would have to go.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 2, 2010, 02:19 PM

You can file a complaint with the host server of the web site that is posting them.

If there father is giving them the photos and allowing them ?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2010, 08:40 PM

As others have said their father is capable of giving his permission. Did your ex agree that he also did not want them up? Because as long as he said it was okay then it's okay. You can try to file a complaint but as I said their father is their other legal parent and can also make decisions about his children.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why do parents hate their children? [ 18 Answers ]

Why do mothers hate their children?

Parents with four children in the same bedroom [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend has a little boy that will be 5 this January. He lives primarily with his mother and her boyfriend. His mother, her boyfriend, their two younger sons and a new baby daughter all sleep in the same bedroom. Sometimes his mother sleeps downstairs, so that leaves the boyfriend in their...

20th Anniversary Gift to Parents involving Photos [ 12 Answers ]

Ok I'm trying to come up with an idea for a gift for my parents 20th Anniversary and the party is next week. I have collected a bunch of old photos of them and their parents. I am looking for a way to display them w/o using glue and other permanent means. Several of the pics are old and I only...

Death of Parents of Minor Children [ 5 Answers ]

If something happens to both parents of minor children in Tennessee and they have no will, who will get custody of those children? Will they be placed in foster care. They have maternal and paternal grandparents and this is not likely to happen but what if it does? Should we advise these parents...

View more questions Search