Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deeww Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2006, 12:46 PM
    Change circuit breaker for part of house
    Hi:

I am looking for info on how to change the circuit breaker that runs the front end of my house; i.e.. Bedroom, livingroom and front garage. It is a little black box with a 15 on it
    :) please help. Never realized how dependent we are on our appliances until now

How do I change the little black circuit breaker in my home circuit box
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2006, 01:26 PM
    After they trip a few times, they can start tripping too soon. It isn't much of a job to change one, but not the best task for the inexperienced. If you have several appliances on one 15 amp breaker, you might be better off getting a couple of quotes on adding some circuits. It wouldn't cost that much to pay somebody. Otherwise, start by turning off almost everything in the house. Then throw the main breaker. Remove the screws holding the cover on the main panel and pull it off. Don't touch, but look at the main breaker. It will have 2 large wires with bare ends clamped by bare metal screws. Those are still hot and have enough juice to quickly kill you. The bad breaker usually can then just be pulled out. Loosen the screw holding the wire, and move the wire to the a new breaker identical to the old one, a type TOL, QO, whatever. Many of the popular brands are interchangeable. To be sure, take the old one to a hardware store, not a home center and have somebody help you find the right one. You can't put in a higher amp one unless the circuit already have heavier than the usual #14 wire. Put the cover back on, and turn on the main breaker and then everything else.
    Electrictony Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2009, 12:53 PM
    Go to Circuitbreakerblog.com they have a lot of resources and info on Circuit Breakers. Here is a link to a article about changing a breaker it seems easy enough.

http://circuitbreakerinfo.blogspot.com/
    Electrictony Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2009, 01:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Electrictony View Post
    Go to Circuitbreakerblog.com they have alot of resources and info on Circuit Breakers. Here is a link to a article about changing a breaker it seems easy enough.

Circuit Breaker Info
    sorry here is the link for article<a href="http://circuitbreakerinfo.blogspot.com/2009/12/how-to-replace-circuit-breaker.html">Circuit Breaker Info: How to Replace a Circuit Breaker</a>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Change Circuit Breaker or add a new one? [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing 4 outdoor post lamps, each running 180 watts (720 watts total). I would like to connect the wiring to my existing switch attached to the existing patio light (100w). The circuit breaker (15 amp) currently installed is for the existing patio light, as well as many other lights...

Circuit breaker [ 3 Answers ]

A circuit breaker connected to the kitchen tripped twice. I had an electrician in but the problem persists - in fact, the very day the electrician came. It does not seem to be caused by any one particular appliance. The first time I was using the waste disposal and the next two times nothing was...

Circuit breaker popping [ 4 Answers ]

We just got a new refrigerator and the circuit braker for the air conditioning keeps popping. We live in Central FL by Daytona and it is really hot right now but we can't keep the air running. Help!!

Carrier Gas pack circuit board part # [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone suggest/cross-reference the part number for my circuit board? The model number for the unit is 48SS018-060. Thanks.

Circuit Breaker Troubleshooting [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased an old farm with a water well. It was checked last summer with the pump company's pump (I assume they used their pump because there was no power at the property then) and it pumped well (15 gpm). Now I have electricity and tried to power up the pump. The fuses are the old...

View more questions Search